If you use an Adblocker please consider whitelisting this blog.
By viewing and/or clicking the AD's you make the future of this blog brighter! Thank you!

Advertisement

Monday, September 13, 2021

Audio Book Review: Blood be Damned By Kel Carpenter

Blood Be Damned
(Demons of New Chicago #3)
By Kel Carpenter

Narrator: Savannah Gilmore & Adam Gold
Length: 8 hours and 12 minutes

When the Underworld burned, I thought that was the end. Turns out it was only the beginning.

Lucifer’s death was a shot heard around the world. The sudden loss of magic turned the tides for the first time in over two decades.

The humans are rallying. Rioting.
It feels like the stirrings of war.

As if that wasn’t enough, Bree isn’t the sister I remember—and her desire to return to Hell is creating more fires than I know how to put out.

Things are changing. Lines are drawn. Everyone must choose a side.

Even me.

Sometimes the world needs a hero. In a city that’s already gone to hell in a hand basket, it might just need a demon.

If you can’t get enough of books by Ella Summers, Annette Marie, Shannon Mayer, Deborah Wilde, K.F. Breene, Jeaniene Frost, Kelly St. Clare, and Linsey Hall then dive right in to the dangerous depths of New Chicago. Beware of headstrong heroines with snark. These ladies don’t bark. They bite.

Start the series with TOUCHED BY FIRE right now!
Goodreads Button
Available At:
| Amazon | Audible |

Check Out The Other Books In This Series:
(Linked To My Review)


My Review:

* Everything in RED is a spoiler.

I wish I liked this book more. The story was very interesting and the characters are bad*ss. There was such a somber note to everything that I ended up just pushing myself through the story. By the end, my heart wasn't in it at all. 

I still like Piper. She's an *sshole who knows she's an *sshole. Though she respects her friends she's not afraid of telling it how it is. My dislike of her always pushing Ronan away is still very much present. She recognizes that she's happy with him around but still fights being with him. Though it does get better as the novel progresses. 

Ronan isn't my favorite. The lying by omission thing he loves to do has taken its toll on me. The story would have been much more straightforward if he was just consistently honest with Piper like she's asked him to be on multiple occasions at this point.

Is it me or is Bree a much more interesting character to read about than Ronan? There were various times throughout this story that I caught myself thinking how much more interesting this would all be if it were coming from Bree's POV. She's a bad*ss in her own right and I respect that. I want her to get a chance at a happily ever after! She deserves as much for going through what she's gone through.

The ending left such a bitter taste in my mouth. If you've followed my reviews for a long time you'd know that I dislike pregnancy in books. There have been exceptions in the past. This one was not one of them. To make matters worse, Ronan knew and was keeping it from her. He also knew it was possible (but *improbable*) and kept that from her too. It's her damn body shouldn't she have a say in what grows in it?! To top it all off, almost everyone knew and kept it from her. The cliffhanger ending didn't do much to wash down the bitterness that that plot twist had incurred. Overall I'm just bitter about this whole novel thanks to that plot twist and the cliffhanger ending.

The Audio Book:

The narration was fine. Adam Gold did an okay job. Though be warned that I usually dislike male narrators. His female voices can be improved upon. It wasn't my favorite. Savannah Gilmore would have been great had she not over-pronounced 'T''s in words that you usually wouldn't hear throughout the narration. That's more of a pet peeve of mine. So do with that what you will.

My Rating:

2 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear this one was disappointing. I'm generally not a fan either of characters not being truthful or carrying on with deceptions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As much as I like to say communication is key I know it doesn't always work like that in real life. BUT just let me live in the fantasy of it all and have these characters tell each other the damn truth damn it!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...