If you use an Adblocker please consider whitelisting this blog.
By viewing and/or clicking the AD's you make the future of this blog brighter! Thank you!

Advertisement

Monday, January 18, 2021

Book Review: Touched By Fire By Kel Carpenter

Touched By Fire
(Magic Wars: Demons Of New Chicago #1)
By Kel Carpenter

For a decade, I’ve hated the supernaturals who owned my world.

I hunted them.
I killed them.

And now, in the most grand twist of fate—I am bonded to one of them.

Oh, the irony.

Being a supernatural bounty hunter isn’t exactly a popular job. But after the magic wars, there aren’t many things a human can do that will put food on the table.

Thankfully anything my right hook can’t handle, my guns can.

Or so I thought.

When a demon summoning runs awry, the being that comes into this world changes everything.

I’m not sure if he’s truly a demon or a god, but one thing I do know is that he’s after me. I’d like to see him try.

I’ve got a promise to fulfill, and I’m not backing down.

The only way out of this is his death or mine, and I’ll do anything to survive.

Even if that means making a deal with the devil.

If you can’t get enough of books by Ella Summers, Annette Marie, Shannon Mayer, Deborah Wilde, K.F. Breene, Jeaniene Frost, Kelly St. Clare, and Linsey Hall then dive right in to the dangerous depths of New Chicago. Beware of headstrong heroines with snark. These ladies don’t bark. They bite.
Goodreads Button
Available At:
| Amazon |

Check Out The Other Books In This Series:
(Linked To My Review)


My Review:

You may be getting tired of me saying this but... OMG, I'm pleasantly surprised I didn't know this would be this good! I really enjoyed the world the author started building in this novel. There was just the right amount of information given as it became relevant. There were minimal info-dumps. Everything was action-packed and suspenseful!

Piper is a strong person but it's obvious she's hanging on by a thread in certain aspects. She's been running herself ragged trying to figure out how to "fix" a certain situation and she's putting herself in increasingly more danger as time goes by. I loved her sass and how much of an a**hole she is for the sake of being one. It's not every day we get a female protagonist who isn't the villain with that kind of personality. I also liked how picking between the guys wasn't a priority for her and how she had much bigger fish to kill before that even crossed her mind.

I'm just confused about the guys. I'm so used to reading novels about soul mates being good and perfect that I don't know what to think with this one. Both aren't really viable options. It's clear they would rather dominate her than help her grown and evolve with her in the future. At this point, I'd like nothing more than Piper killing them off and living happily ever after by herself.

The ending was interesting. Things have escalated to a degree that would seem impossible to solve. I'm looking forward to learning how the author is going to maneuver Piper and Nathalie out of this situation.

My Favorite Quotes:

"The magic does not lie. People do."

"I was driven by guilt. Unending, all-consuming guilt."

"I made choices, and now I had to live with them. Even if it destroyed me."

My Rating:


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...