If you use an Adblocker please consider whitelisting this blog.
By viewing and/or clicking the AD's you make the future of this blog brighter! Thank you!

Advertisement

Monday, July 3, 2023

Book Review: The Rose Witch By Chandelle LaVaun

The Rose Witch
(The Coven saga)
By Chandelle LaVaun

A Coven Old Magic Stand-Alone Novel

His magic lurks in the shadows…

I feel his eyes on my back with every step I take. He’s following me. Chasing me. There’s nowhere for me to go, nowhere to hide that he won’t find me. He moves in smoke and shadows. He is the darkness. He tracks my every move like a predator with gold glowing eyes in the night. I know he’s going to catch me, the only question is…why do I want him to?

I have no idea who he is or what he wants. I know I should be terrified…but I’m not.

There are things happening to me…things I can’t control or explain…things that only I can see. Magic pours from me like a scarlet river and this locket around my neck pulses with dark, electric energy. I think it’s what he wants…but he isn’t the only thing on the hunt for it. Demons hide around every corner, they attack mercilessly and relentlessly - the only thing they seem to be afraid of is him.

That should be a warning, except there’s something inside me that begs to be near him. I feel it like a magnet, drawing me closer and I’m running out of reasons to fight it.

He is the Prince of Hell…and he’s either my savior or my damnation…

The Rose Witch is a novel set in The Coven saga but is designed to be read as a stand-alone.
Goodreads Button
Available At:
| Amazon |

My Review:

I judged this book by its cover and I was burned. As interesting as the world the author created is there was something that just didn't click with me. In the beginning, it was a lot of descriptions for everything. I just kept thinking why the author just can't let me use my own dang imagination. A short while after that were the info dumps for how the universe worked and boy! were those boring and long. 

The heroine overreacted a lot. So much of the beginning of this novel could have been resolved had she just stopped panicking and spoken to the guy for like five minutes. I disliked how she was supposed to be this powerful witch but found herself incapacitated every time things got going. As you can tell by now, I wasn't a fan of hers.

The hero is a 700+ year-old who blushes at even the slightest innuendo. I'm not mad at it but it also didn't really match well with who he was supposed to be (at least for me). Other than the rough beginning, he was very sweet and charming. Granted he had his own reasons for doing what he was doing but at least he was transparent about them considering the life-or-death stakes.

The last quarter of this book lost its steam for me. I'll be honest and say that I skimmed a lot of it. I was just ready to get it over with. The miracle that happened with the heroine was really weird and strangely weaved into the story as well. I don't think I'll be reading any future books in this series/universe.

My Rating:


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...