If you use an Adblocker please consider whitelisting this blog.
By viewing and/or clicking the AD's you make the future of this blog brighter! Thank you!

Advertisement

Monday, June 26, 2023

Audio Book Review: Broken By J.L. Drake


Broken
(Broken Trilogy #1)
By J.L. Drake

Narrator: Elizabeth Klett
Length: 10 hours and 1 minute

My name is Savannah Miller.

My father is the mayor of New York. One day after my twenty-seventh birthday I was grabbed from behind. A cloth sack was quickly pulled over my head, and I was taken from everything I’d ever known.

I was beaten, starved, treated like an animal, and forced to live in a room with no windows. With no sense of time and no dignity left I finally gave up hope and made a promise to myself to end it all. Unfortunately, it was going to be a slow process.

Then one night an elite group of US Army soldiers came to my rescue. I was brought to a safe house and given two options:

One—Stay under their protection and follow their rules or...
Two—Leave and be guaranteed to be returned to the savages within a week.

I chose option one.

As I work with a therapist and begin processing my hellish ordeal things slowly begin to surface. With the help of new friends and a potential new love I fight to get my life back and make choices that will forever alter my future.

This is my story…
Goodreads Button
Available At:

My Review:

I don't know how I feel about this book. I can assure you it evoked a lot of emotion, but they're probably not the ones the author meant to have present. 

I found the heroine very wishy washy. One moment she was strong and in control and the next she was crying and not explaining to anyone what was going on. Her first answer to everything is to runaway. Instead of getting someone she trusts aside and talking about what happened to her (e.g. the York situation) she hides it and has everyone questioning what the heck happened. The first time it happened I understood, every other time after that was annoying.

I liked Cole overall. He was sweet and attentive, but had a very violent and arrogant side to him. The arrogance was over done and also started getting on my nerves by the end of the novel. He also got in the habit of trying to boss the heroine around which did nothing for the story or their relationship (it only made me more annoyed).

**SPOILERS**
(Please highlight the text to read it)

I despised the pregnancy twist. It only added drama to an already dramatic event. It didn't do anything for the story. Has anyone in this book ever heard of using a condom while on birth control? Is that a new concept and I'm the only one that bothered to know about it?

**End of SPOILERS**

The end was something I saw coming. I hoped I would be wrong, but the cliché cliffhanger happened. It wasn't all that surprising. The villain telling all about how they did it and why wasn't very impressive either. I think it would have been more interesting if the heroine had talked to York. It would have made for a much more exciting mind-f*ck.

The Audio Book:

I didn't love the narration. Elizabeth seemed monotoned (which didn't help me connect emotionally to the story or characters) with the exception of the dialogue. I could differentiate between characters, but there were times when the male voices would all become one and I was left confused for a few lines.

My Rating:
 
& ½

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...