If you use an Adblocker please consider whitelisting this blog.
By viewing and/or clicking the AD's you make the future of this blog brighter! Thank you!

Advertisement

Monday, February 13, 2023

Book Review: Knotted By Pam Godwin

Knotted
(Trails of Sin #1)
By Pam Godwin 

I try to forget her.

It’s impossible.

Growing up together, Conor and I shared all our firsts.
First love, first kiss, first…
Not all our firsts.

We were sixteen the night she was violently assaulted while I helplessly watched.
I’ll never forget the sounds of her suffering.
Or my inconsolable agony when she left Oklahoma.

Years later, she returns to honor our teenage pact.
Except the boy she loved is gone, replaced by a ruthless cattle rancher knotted with secrets.
She doesn’t know my dark cravings or the trails of sin that lead to her.

I don’t deserve her, but one truth remains.
She’s mine.

TRAILS OF SIN series (HEAs with no cliffhangers - must be read in order):

Knotted #1 - Jake and Conor
Buckled #2 - Jarret and Maybe
Booted #3 - Lorne and Raina
Goodreads Button
Available At:
| Amazon | B&N | Kobo | iBooks |

My Review:

Thanks to this novel I learned, the hard way, that dark romance isn't for me. This novel had me grimacing for different reasons in its entirety. I hadn't heard of this author before picking up this novel, but I do wish she would have mentioned a few trigger warnings in the synopsis. Though it was partly my fault for not looking up reviews in advance (which I usually do). I don't usually mind very many things but I, at least, like to be prepared for it.

What bothered me most in this novel was Jake, the so-called "hero" of the story. He started off as a sweet kid in love and in a relationship with his childhood friend. After what happened happens he becomes someone else to a degree. Even before that happened there were indications that he liked being the "alpha" and controlling. *SPOILER* My main problem with this novel is when he puts the heroine through the equivalent of a psychology boot camp for two weeks to "help" her. The best part? In the book, it's mentioned that he doesn't believe in medication because it's "addictive and unnecessary". *End of SPOILER*

The heroine (whose name I can't remember and don't care to at this point) goes along with his controlling ways and puts up very little fight. For someone who's being obligated and pushed into discussing past issues and trauma by someone who is not a psychologist things go a little too well. By the end, her issues are still there but barely. Problems that deep-rooted don't just die down in the span of two weeks. Most people take years to get back to a better state of mind and even then they don't stop working with a licensed professional.

This novel did one thing amazingly well: It got me very invested in the mystery. I was waiting for it to be a convoluted plan, but by the time the heroine and consequently the reader is informed about what happened most of it has already happened. There are only a few loose ends and one of them get's resolved in the second to last chapter (and way too easily in my opinion).

My Favorite Quotes:

"The right choice and the hardest choice are the same. Isn't that what they say?"

"I'm made entirely of damaged pieces, stitched together with irreparable flaws."

My Rating:


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...