If you use an Adblocker please consider whitelisting this blog.
By viewing and/or clicking the AD's you make the future of this blog brighter! Thank you!

Advertisement

Tuesday, August 21, 2018

Top Ten Tuesday: Pulling Yourself Out Of A Reading Slump

Hiya My Little Predators!!

Welcome back to:
A weekly feature created By The Broke And The Bookish
Currently featured on That Artsy Reader Girl

Pulling Yourself Out Of A Reading Slump

I've never had a specific book pull me out of a reading slump. I should know, considering I've survived an almost year-long reading slump not too long ago. So instead of mentioning specific books, I'm going to make a list of what helped me get through my reading slump that could potentially help you if you're in one.

1. Re-read old favorites to your heart's content. I cannot begin to describe how good it felt going back to books I knew I adored. I usually came out of that book with the mindset of at least wanting to pick up a new-to-me book.

2. Relax. Don't stress the reading slump. I've had slumps disappear after I let myself take a week or two "off" and binging shows I liked or was behind on.

3. Try to read a book that's in a genre that you wouldn't necessarily pick up. This worked a few times for me. I usually go for paranormal romance and urban fantasy. When I was in my slump I picked up a few celebrity autobiographies and a few fun and humorous self-help books. It alleviated my reading slump enough for me to read a book or two in between.

4. If it's getting to a point where you're no longer enjoying reading or pushing yourself through every book you pick up to try to beat the reading slump just stop reading period. Sometimes you just have to take a step back and evaluate what's happening that's provoking the reading slump. Maybe the solution is to take a break from reading for you to come back even better :)

What was your longest book slump?
Let's discuss in the comments below!

10 comments:

  1. I don't get into slumps that often. I read such a variety of genres that I'm always keeping it fresh. I listed tips as well and if I ever feel a slump coming on, a trip to the library usually helps!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to never get in reading slumps, but that ship has sailed! Reading a variety of books probably works to your advantage. Libraries are magical :)

      Delete
  2. I was basically in a reading slump for pretty much all of 2015, I read about 4 books total that I actually really liked and the rest were all just meh!
    My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2018/08/21/top-ten-tuesday-173/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I've been there! It felt like I was surrounding myself in meh books and didn't know why for such a long time. Reading slumps are the worst!

      Delete
  3. I am the opposite, when I am in a slump, I like to go for my comfort food, my favorite genre. That seems to work best for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried that when most books started becoming meh to me and the only thing it did was dig my reading slump deeper. It's good that you know how to, in essence, "control" or "correct" yourself when a slump sets in. I wish I knew what I could do to help myself snap out of them faster :)

      Delete
  4. So true. Re- reading favorites and taking time off to binge Netflix lol usually work for me, more or less. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A way to "beat" a reading slump is just letting it run its course for the most part. If a consequence of that is that I get to binge a few movies and shows that I've been behind on in the last few weeks then so be it :)

      Delete
  5. I don’t get slumps often, but rereading a favorite can often get me out of them.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Re-reading favorite books does wonders for some reading slumps :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...