If you use an Adblocker please consider whitelisting this blog.
By viewing and/or clicking the AD's you make the future of this blog brighter! Thank you!

Advertisement

Monday, April 27, 2020

Audio Book Review: Crave By Tracy Wolff

Crave
(Crave #1)
By Tracy Wolff

Narrated: Heather Costa & Tim Paige
Length: 14 hours and 56 minutes

My whole world changed when I stepped inside the academy. Nothing is right about this place or the other students in it. Here I am, a mere mortal among gods…or monsters. I still can’t decide which of these warring factions I belong to, if I belong at all. I only know the one thing that unites them is their hatred of me.

Then there’s Jaxon Vega. A vampire with deadly secrets who hasn’t felt anything for a hundred years. But there’s something about him that calls to me, something broken in him that somehow fits with what’s broken in me.

Which could spell death for us all.

Because Jaxon walled himself off for a reason. And now someone wants to wake a sleeping monster, and I’m wondering if I was brought here intentionally—as the bait.
Goodreads Button
Available At:
| Amazon | AudibleB&N | Kobo | iBooks |

Check Out The Other Books In this Series:
(Linked To My Review)


My Review:

This was one of the books where the hype around it actually turned out to be better than the book. I wanted to adore this book like so many others have but it just wasn't the amazing-out-of-this-world story that they kept raving on about. It was a good story just not out-of-this-world.

I enjoyed the universe the author started creating with this novel. Though I still wish there was more revealed about it throughout the book. The writing style and the overall pacing of the story worked really well for me. 

Onto the things I loved about this book: 1) The nods to Twilight throughout the novel and the cover, in particular, was awesome; 2) The heroine's sassy and headstrong personality; 3) The adults not being completely incompetent characters for the sake of the story.

The things I disliked, you ask? Well, that's a bigger list. The highlights, however, are as follows: 1) The use of AF instead of swearing. If the heroine is going to swear just commit to it. Otherwise, just don't do it; 2) I could see the big bad coming from a mile away; 3) The lack of actual class time considering the heroine was supposed to be in school when she wasn't hurt or on the verge of dying.

For as long as this novel was it didn't feel like it, which was very surprising coming from someone who finds the bare minimum descriptions to be boring and tiresome. Though it started off slow after the 30th chapter things began picking up quick and made for a very entertaining story that was overall enjoyable.

I didn't like Jaxon off the bat. I still don't think I warmed up to him even after everything that went down. I also disliked how he treated her in the very beginning with no provocation. I respect his adoration and protection of Grace but there was very little reason and story to justify that. I wanted to know more about his world and his very powerful status in said world and how Grace could eventually fit into it.

Grace started off this book in a not so great place due to an accident that happened to her family. She was understandably mopy and down on herself. I liked that she eventually came back to her sassy, headstrong, and corny self. She also didn't take crap from anyone and never made a point to put anyone down to get the upper hand.

The ending came with a big cliffhanger and a small revelation in the form of a chapter in Jaxon's point of view. That made me ask myself why the story didn't tradeoff point of views between the main characters from the beginning because reading from the point of view of a character who actually knows what's going on is much more entertaining than stumbling along with Grace in the dark.

The Audio Book:

Off the bat after that last chapter, I wanted this novel to have more Jaxon chapters. It would have also been SO much better if this had been dual narrated. Having said all that, both narrators were great. The voices were distinct enough to each character to not cause confusion during the story.

My Rating:


4 comments:

  1. Glad this was mostly good! I do love that cover. :) And this : "The adults not being completely incompetent characters" haha that always gets me too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cover is very reminiscent of Twilight and I'm not mad at it :)
      Adults being adults in YA novels get me every time ♡

      Delete
  2. Another great review, Mikky, and I know what you mean about book hype but it just goes to prove that us bookworms are an eclectic bunch. ;-) You know I'm not into YA, so I probably wouldn't pick this one up but I do like the cover.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! "Eclectic bunch" is putting it mildly! Not every book is for everyone and that's totally understandable ♡

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...