If you use an Adblocker please consider whitelisting this blog.
By viewing and/or clicking the AD's you make the future of this blog brighter! Thank you!

Advertisement

Friday, September 2, 2016

My Ramblings: What Do You Do With Books You Don't Like Anymore?

Hiya My Little Predators!!

What Do You Do With Books You Don't Like Anymore?

I got to thinking these past few days about what I was going to do with some old books that I had laying around. When I was about 11, I was crazy about young adult thrillers and short horror stories. So naturally, being the bookworm that I am, I went on a spree. I bought a bunch of Goosebumps books By R. L. Stine and I also had the classic Scary Stories series retold by Alvin Schwartz. I eventually changed genres to young adult mystery books. It's probably one of the reasons why I can't stand thrillers and mysteries nowadays because I obsessed so far down the book wormhole.

Anyway, most of those books were piled in a corner shelf taking up space. I knew I wasn't going to pick any of them up any time soon, so I started looking into places where I knew they would at least have a chance at "life". The place I chose to put them in was my local library. 

Please keep in mind that I'm currently residing in Brazil and books here are on the expensive side (unless you program yourself around yearly sales). The variety of english books here (in physical book stores) leave a lot to be desired as well because they are either twilight based books or they are historical classics. So if the regular brazilian resident wanted to learn english with an interesting book, they would be forced to by it at triple the price (because of how high the dollar currently is) or stick with the historicals (which unless you're a history buff wouldn't really call to you).

The people at my library were very kind and I saw their eyes shining when me and my mom came into the establishment with two bags of almost brand new, but aged books in english. From what I've seen of their english book selection they also have very little variety. So with the donation I hope that at least one of those books helps someone in their adventure of learning a second language while having fun. 

Do you donate your old books?
Do you usually use your local library?
Let me know in the comments below!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...