If you use an Adblocker please consider whitelisting this blog.
By viewing and/or clicking the AD's you make the future of this blog brighter! Thank you!

Advertisement

Monday, March 21, 2022

Audio Book Review: Dragon Mate By Jen L. Grey

Dragon Mate
(The Hidden King #1)
By Jen L. Grey 

Narrator: Amanda Dolan
Length: 6 hours and 5 minutes

Sometimes, survival depends on not being seen.

I should know. That’s the only way I’ve survived. Getting accepted into a prestigious university was my chance at freedom; to escape and live without fear and resentment.

And with no emotional attachments--or at least that was the plan.

Until I see Egan.

He’s sexy, mysterious, and has muscles in all the right places. He invokes feelings I don’t want or understand.

The more he shows up, the harder of a time I have remembering why staying away from him was a good idea. But he brings deep, dark secrets that alter my entire world.

Monsters exist. Witches cast spells. And animals may be human after all.

I either embrace fate and enter a strange new world full of risks like never before or walk away.

Maybe, I'm destined for heartache because sometimes, love isn't worth what it costs to fall.

If you can't get enough of books by Patricia Briggs, Ilona Andrews, K.F. Breene, Kelly St. Claire, Shannon Mayer, Leia Stone, and Jaymin Eve, then you'll love this paranormal romance.
Goodreads Button
Available At:

My Review:

This started off SO good but then just fizzled out into a very mild ember. The chemistry and tension between the hero and heroine were off the charts until about two-thirds of the way in. After they got together it just went away. That was what was carrying the story for me.

Jade was very standoffish, blunt, and awkward to the point of being rude at times. It's justified enough with how she grew up and how she was mistreated. I will admit that she had some great zingers along the way. Though there were a few times in the novel that she slut-shamed other female characters for what they were wearing and how they were all over Egan. Just a detail I'd rather not have included in the books I read.

Egan was such a gentleman and I love him for it! I've gotten so used to reading about alpha-holes that when I encounter a male character who actually feels emotion and cares for the heroine without going caveman every second they're together or another guy talks to her it astounds me.

This ended on a cliffhanger that I didn't appreciate. By that point, I wasn't all that invested in the story so it didn't evoke the strong emotions the author was hoping for. I'll probably give the next book a chance since I have quite a wait in between audiobook releases at the moment.

The Audio Book:

The narration was fine. The characters were distinguishable from one another and there were no weird background noises. Though there were moments when it was very obvious that the narrator's voice got very nasally out of nowhere. It was just a detail that happened maybe a handful of times throughout the narration but it did end up pulling me out of the story.

My Rating:


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...