If you use an Adblocker please consider whitelisting this blog.
By viewing and/or clicking the AD's you make the future of this blog brighter! Thank you!

Advertisement

Monday, March 28, 2022

Audio Book Review: The Last Vampire By R. A. Steffan & Jaelynn Woolf

The Last Vampire
(The Last Vampire #1)
By R. A. Steffan & Jaelynn Woolf

Length: 6 hours and 21 minutes
Narrator: Gwendolyn Druyor

There’s a smokin’ hot dead guy locked in my garden shed.

That part’s bad enough. But now, he’s trying to get out.

Growing up, my father always told me that I’d come to a bad end, just like my mom did when I was a kid. Hearing that kind of shit when you’re little eventually gets to a girl, but I can’t say I ever expected my ‘bad end’ to involve an angry vampire with a severe case of iron deficiency and a panty-melting English accent.

Maybe I shouldn’t be surprised. Ever since my mother was assassinated, I’ve felt like there was something vast and frightening hidden beneath the fabric of the world. Something none of us are supposed to know about.

So far, finding out I was right hasn’t been nearly as satisfying as I’d hoped. I guess the trick will be staying alive long enough to shout ‘I told you so’ from the rooftops.

But before I can do that, I really need to figure out if the vampire who just bit me is one of the good guys or not.
Goodreads Button
Available At:
| Amazon | Audible |

My Review:

This book built a fantastic universe to be continued in the following books in this series. I loved the number of different creatures that were included or alluded to in this book that could possibly make an appearance in future books.

With all that being said Zorah was such a clueless main character that it ended up dragging the story down for me. She also has very special and, for what she is, impossible/never-before-seen magical powers that didn't add much to the story unless it was to put her on the pedestal she apparently deserves as an extra special half human half paranormal creature thing. She was also rather whiny and repetitive with her inner monologue which only got worse with time.

Rans was an interesting character that I wanted to know more about. To be honest there were quite a few moments where I would have preferred to be in his head rather than Zorah's and that's coming from someone who doesn't really enjoy/go-after male pov novels. His secretive nature was what held me on until the end.

I don't know how to feel about this book. The world the authors built is fantastic but the characters don't do it justice. I may or may not pick up the next book eventually in the future.

The Audio Book:

The narrator's voice for Zorah was on the shrill side and ended up grating in the long run. There were quite a few moments where Ran's British accent simply disappeared. This audio book would have been better had they had at least two narrators at the same time reading their lines (I think it's called dual narration or something of that like). It would have done more to pull me into the story.

My Rating:

2 comments:

  1. Damn. The blurb and cover would tempt me, but a female protagonist like that is a big no no for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. RIGHT?! This was a recommendation from an author I adore and it fell so short for me :/

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...