If you use an Adblocker please consider whitelisting this blog.
By viewing and/or clicking the AD's you make the future of this blog brighter! Thank you!

Advertisement

Monday, March 14, 2022

Book Review: The Quarterback Alpha By Emma Wolfe

The Quarterback Alpha
(The Smoky Hills Academy #1)
By Emma Wolfe

Welcome to Smoky Hills Academy

#1 in Football #1 in Wolf Shifters

Mom and I just needed a place to start over. Somewhere to move on from the past that haunts us.

Smoky Hills, Tennessee seemed to be exactly what we needed.

Here, I could be invisible.

That is, until quarterback Liam Bronson decides I’m important.

Even though there are plenty of girls who would love his attention, he doesn’t seem to care. The way he stares at me is like I’m the only one that matters, even in a room full of people.

Like he chose me.

Then I discover his secret. The animal that lives inside of him. He tells me to leave. That it’s not safe for a human.

If only my heart didn’t pound when he was around. If only he wasn’t so kind. If only he wasn’t exactly what I need in my life, I could honor his wish.

Lucky for me, I’m not part of his pack.

I don’t have to obey.

If you love alpha heroes and kick-butt heroines, you’ll love this sweet paranormal young adult romance series! It promises toe-tingling kisses and sigh-inducing romance with a minor cliff-hanger ending. Just to keep you excited for more books to come!
Goodreads Button
Available At:
| Amazon |

My Review:

* Warning this is a spoilery and ranty review! 

I have SO many questions. First of all, what the heck did I just read because it sure as heck wasn't an academy novel or a paranormal romance novel. This was so angsty and yet it went nowhere. There was also no plot other than the couple fighting their attraction for each other. It was never truly explained what was so dangerous about being with a human in the first place, so that was also very frustrating. 

This read very juvenile. This is very young YA and it didn't work with the story. You expect me to believe that two teenagers (17 - 18) lusting after each other is going to keep that up for a long period of time without doing anything about it. HA! You couldn't fool me if you tried!

In my humble opinion, this should have been either upper YA or New Adult. Considering there was no plot outside the couple it just didn't bring enough to the table to be interesting and push forward a story (with no plot other than the one mentioned).

I also disliked how this full novel felt more like the first half of a full novel because barely anything happened other than them fighting their attraction. Even worse, the next novel features a different couple while intertwining the first couple into the story.

The world-building was just not there. Your guess is as good as mine as to why being with a human is a no-no and why their pack is divided. I would have loved to have gotten an explanation as to how the pack's work (hierarchy wise), some background as to how wolves came to be in the first place and why humans are off-limits! Can you tell I'm frustrated yet?

My last annoyance with this novel was the lack of any kind of answers. Which only solidified my thought of this being half a novel. The cliffhanger wouldn't be that bad if I had even the slightest clue about why any of this was happening in the first place!

On a positive note, it's clear that I'm not the target audience for this story. I'm probably 10 years too old if I'm being honest. If I were a 13-14 year old I would have eaten this up and wanted more, but I'm past that. I need a concise plot running throughout the story, world-building, and realistic character decisions based on their age and not the annoying notion of keeping a novel "clean" (as if romance and intimacy are "dirty").

My Favorite Quotes:

"Every animal was precious, and we were the big bad humans invading their lands."

"I could disappear into the world of the story and forget everything that had happened this morning."

"Pain and I had a certain understanding."

My Rating:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...