If you use an Adblocker please consider whitelisting this blog.
By viewing and/or clicking the AD's you make the future of this blog brighter! Thank you!

Advertisement

Monday, December 13, 2021

Audio Book Review: Hellbound Guilds & Other Misdirections By Annette Marie & Rob Jacobsen

Hellbound Guilds & Other Misdirections
(The Guild Codex: Warped #2)
By Annette Marie & Rob Jacobsen

Narrator: Iggy Toma
Length: 8 hours and 12 minutes

Agent Kit Morris. Has a nice ring, doesn't it?

It's a big step up from "wanted criminal" or "that weird con-artist guy with weirder psychic powers"—both of which recently applied to me. But my promotion to MagiPol agent comes with a few drawbacks.

First, supremely talented and effortlessly gorgeous Agent Lienna Shen won't agree to a dinner date with me. Second, my new assignment has pitted me against a guild with very bad taste in pets. Third, those pets are demons, and those demons want to kill me.

My psychic magic is great for conning people. It doesn't do jack shit against hellish orcs. If I screw this up, my dinner date will be with a demon—and I'll be the dinner. Even better, I kind of suspect this supposedly straightforward assignment is actually the tip of an unholy iceberg of power-hungry malefactors bent on destroying all law and order in the city.

I should probably mention that last part to my boss.

--
THE GUILD CODEX: WARPED
Warping Minds & Other Misdemeanors (#1)
Hellbound Guilds & Other Misdirections (#2)

More series in the Guild Codex world:
The Guild Codex: Spellbound
The Guild Codex: Demonized
The Guild Codex: Unveiled
Goodreads Button
Available At:

Check Out The Other Books In This Series:
(Linked to my review)


My Review:

* I'm sorry if I'm coming off very harsh and aggressive it's just that this book made me so damn angry and this pronunciation bit was the last straw for me.

This is yet another series I'm reading for all the wrong reasons. I adore the Guild Codex universe Annette Marie has created and fleshed out with all the spin-offs it encompasses but boy do I dislike Kit and the narrator. 

I just can't connect with Kit. All his movie/tv show references go right over my head 90% of the time. I find his over-the-top sass strangely offputting (strange for me because I usually love that trait in all the characters I read about). I think this is getting more into I'm the problem territory and there isn't actually anything wrong with the book/story as a whole.

The heroine comes off as smart and secretive but I also can't connect with her either. I love that she saves Kit's *ss so many times and has proven herself to be very capable. 

Overall, this story felt like it was just going through the motions. Since I didn't connect with anyone I didn't really enjoy much of what I was getting if that makes any sense? I think I'll give this series one more shot. Deep down I want to like this because it's part of the overall story of the Guild Codex universe. By reading this the events will eventually connect to other works in this universe. I would like to have those AH-HA moments but I won't put myself through so many of these books that I end up hating this series entirely. I'd rather just let it be if it ever comes to that.

The Audio Book:

I really, really, really dislike this narrator. I know for a fact (since I vividly remember the author mentioning this somewhere in her reading group a few years ago) that Annette Marie has sent out pronunciation guides for the key elements of this series to narrators in the past so I find it hard to believe that this guy didn't get one and didn't do his research. He manages to mispronounce the words just enough to get under my skin. I gave him a pass in the first book because I thought it would be corrected by the second book. Turns out I was wrong and I hate it here. Though he sounds just as annoying as I imagine the main character Kit sounds so great job on that front.

My Rating:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...