If you use an Adblocker please consider whitelisting this blog.
By viewing and/or clicking the AD's you make the future of this blog brighter! Thank you!

Advertisement

Monday, December 7, 2020

Audio Book Review: Warping Minds & Other Misdemeanors By Annette Marie & Rob Jacobsen



Warping Minds & Other Misdemeanors
(The Guild Codex: Warped #1)
By Annette Marie & Rob Jacobsen 

Narrator: Iggy Toma
Length: 6 hours and 34 minutes

My name is Kit Morris, and welcome to my warped life. 

Picture the scene: Me, an average guy with psychic powers—not that my abilities are in any way average—just trying to scrape by in a harsh world. So maybe I've conned a few people, but did I really deserve to be thrown in MPD jail alongside magic-wielding serial killers?

According to Agent Lienna Shen, one-hundred-percent yes.

But her hardass attitude and “Arcana prodigy” status aren’t enough to bring down my former best friend, who slipped through the MPD’s fingers and is days away from unleashing untold horrors upon the city. Or he’s going to steal something. I don’t really know.

Whatever he’s up to, that’s why I’m sitting in an interrogation room with Lienna. And that’s why I just offered myself as her temporary new partner for the purposes of thwarting my ex-accomplice.

And that’s how I’m going to escape. I might even help with the case before I cut and run.
Goodreads Button
Available At:

Check Out The Other Books In This Series:
(Linked to my review)


My Review:

This was an okay book considering the circumstances. By circumstances I mean that had this not been part of the bigger and intertwining story arc of the Guild Codex series by Annette Marie I would not have picked this up on my own. I love the idea of the intertwining stories the Guild Codex has going on but I really don't gravitate towards books with a male lead and that's where it started off on the wrong foot for me.

Kit was actually a very interesting character but his pop culture references were useless to me and didn't add much to the story. Out of every 10 references he made I got 2, maybe 3. Though I understand why he went back after all I can't help but think what if he hadn't and have his story end there and leave Tori, Robin, and the gang to solve whatever mess comes up. Those are just my wishful thoughts because I don't want to have to put myself through Book #2 of this spin-off series.

I didn't see the appeal that Lienna had. She's a rookie bad*ss with awesome spells she comes up with. Other than that she's mostly deadpan or maybe that was how the narrator made her seem to me. Considering I already wasn't a fan of hers this book didn't help much to change my opinion.

The ending was an interesting surprise! I appreciated the suspense that led to all the questions of how he was going to get out of the MPD situation this time. I'm glad things worked out and I'm interested to see how Kit's story intersects with the overall Guild Codex storyline.

The Audio Book:

The narrator pick could have been much, much worse so yay? This narrator didn't grate on my nerves but I've also heard better (that's just a personal annoyance of mine and shouldn't be taken into account). Due to the fact that I've been listening to the past books in the series, this narrator pronounced a few keywords to the universe of these books differently than the female narrator for past books and it did take me out of the story here and there.

My Rating:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...