If you use an Adblocker please consider whitelisting this blog.
By viewing and/or clicking the AD's you make the future of this blog brighter! Thank you!

Advertisement

Monday, October 11, 2021

Audio Book Review: Shifter Wars By Kelly St. Clare

Shifter Wars
(Supernatural Battle:
Werewolf Dens #1)
By Kelly St. Clare

Length: 12 hours and 35 minutes
Narrator: Amanda Dolan

When Mum died, I inherited a lot more than a pack of lies.

I landed a $410,000 debt.
Discovered her previous surname.
And her real place of birth.

Desperate to uncover the truth, I drive to a tiny dot on the map called Deception Valley.

Coincidental name? Nope.

There, I find her secret family—because she had one of those too.

How many lies are we at? Honestly, I’ve lost count, but local gossip captures my attention. Apparently, Mum’s other family play laser tag every Wednesday. Not even joking. Laser tag.

What the hell is this place?

In hindsight, the massive guy with honey irises was my first major clue. Unusual eyes for a human, right?
Perfect eyes for a werewolf.

But sexy supernaturals, thongs, and mounting financial strain aside, Mum’s past is buried somewhere in this valley, and I need to dig up the truth or find a way to live with her lies.

What do you do when neither option will leave you unscathed?
Goodreads Button
Available At:
| Amazon | Audible |

My Review:

* Everything in red is a spoiler.

This story had everything going for it to be a 4 star read but it ended up as a 3 star read. The universe the author created with the game and winning sections and the detailed nature of everything was interesting. The characters, overall, were complex beings and the witty banter between them was so good. The heroine (Andie) though, was another story entirely.

When Andie was being her snide self, full of attitude and spunk she was so entertaining. Every moment aside from those were annoying. She second-guessed herself so much. She let herself be convinced the people on the other side were these big bad monsters without even ever being attacked or hurt by them. She put blind faith into her long-lost family without computing that her mother left the place she adored for a REASON. I also disliked how against Alaric she was from the start. Her so-called family poisoned even the possibility of that relationship before it even had a chance.

Alaric was incredible and he deserves an award! His antics relating to Andie were SO. DAMN. FUNNY! I loved every minute of them. So many were totally out of left field but they were so entertaining! He was probably the most interesting character of the whole story. I liked that he did his best to anticipate Andie's problems. I liked that even against the will of his wolf he still gave Andie an "out-for-now" type of thing for when the mating call got too strong.

The ending was wrong on SO many fronts. I refuse to believe that what's in the will was the truth. It doesn't make any sense. I'm relatively invested in the outcome of this series. 

My SPOILERY Theories:

- Andie is at the very least half-wolf because if she were full human the mating call wouldn't affect her. 

- Herc killed her real father (the guy she called Deadbeat that eventually got a name but I forgot it. oops).

- Herc is not her real father. Those documents were fake. Herc put them there because he thought his actual daughter wouldn't make a good leader.

- Herc said something about knowing about the mating bond and how someone could live after the wolf died. I think he was talking about Andie's mother because I'm almost sure that Andie's father came back to town to close up some loose ends and ended up getting pushed off a cliff by Herc. It's also mentioned how Andie's mother called one of her friends and basically already knew that something terrible had happened to Andie's father because he didn't come home when he said he would. Andie's mother also went off the rails at that point as well. So if 1+1 doesn't equal 2 I don't know what does.

- This series will end with Andie and Alaric being together and uniting both sides to live in harmony and stop the "games".

The Audio Book:

The narration isn't my favorite. The narrator doesn't have much of a deep tone to make for a believable male voice let alone multiple male voices. She read at a slower pace than I like so I had to x1.25 the narration. There were no weird noises in the background of this recording.

My Rating:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...