If you use an Adblocker please consider whitelisting this blog.
By viewing and/or clicking the AD's you make the future of this blog brighter! Thank you!

Advertisement

Monday, April 17, 2023

Book Review: Ember X (Death Collectors #1) By Jessica Sorensen

Ember X
(Death Collectors #1)
By Jessica Sorensen

For nineteen-year-old Ember, life has always been about death. With a simple touch, she can see when someone will die. It’s her curse and the reason she secludes herself from the world. The only person that knows her secret is her best friend Raven.

But that changes when she meets Asher Morgan. He’s gorgeous and mysterious and is the only person Ember can't sense death from. The silence he instills in her mind and body allows her to feel things she’s never been able to before, so despite her initial reservations, Ember lets Asher into her life and lets herself to get close to him. But the closer they get, the more Ember realizes that Asher is keeping secrets from her.

When unexplained deaths begin to surface in her town, Ember questions why she can’t see Asher's death and what it is he’s hiding from her.


**Mature Content Advisory** 

Recommended for readers 17+ due to sexual situations and language.
Goodreads Button
Available At:
| Amazon | B&N | Kobo | iBooks |

My Review:

This novel didn't capture me the way a few other books by this author has. This is also the second time I read this novel and I can't really say it was all that memorable the first time around. The paranormal mythology that was created for the story was awesome though. I don't think I've read a book on angels with this twist.

Another qualm I had with this story was the pacing. The first 60% of this novel is Ember being freaked out, confused and scared. Sure there's the murder mystery going around but it wasn't all that intriguing after the third body dropped because there wasn't even a sprinkling of some semblance of answers.

Ember is an outcast and has been one ever since she was four. People blame her for things she had no hand in and she's just gotten accustomed to being a sad human being. I hated how meek and apologetic she was in situations that weren't her fault. I also hated how she put herself in situations where she clearly should've put her foot down and just said 'no' to.

I'm not a fan of either of the guys in this love triangle. Asher is alright, I guess, but Cameron is a psychopath and should be locked up. I don't understand the appeal to Cameron. All his scenes just made me feel like my skin was crawling.

When the story was finally answering some questions and picking up the pace it ended. It ended in an end-for-now but still kind of cliffhanger-ish. It was creepy I'll tell you that much. I'm not sure if I'll pick up the next novel in this trilogy.

My Favorite Quotes:

"It hurts to be around life. People don't understand how close death is, right over their shoulders, around the block, at the end of a street. It's everywhere and I'm the only one who knows where it is."

"My whole life doesn't make sense. It's like I'm always one step away from walking off a cliff."

"Everyone fears death, Ember. Even death itself."

My Rating:


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...