If you use an Adblocker please consider whitelisting this blog.
By viewing and/or clicking the AD's you make the future of this blog brighter! Thank you!

Advertisement

Monday, August 2, 2021

Audio Book Review: Once Burned By Jeaniene Frost

Once Burned
(Night Prince #1)
By Jeaniene Frost

Narrator: Tavia Gilbert
Length: 8 hours and 25 minutes

She's a mortal with dark powers...

After a tragic accident scarred her body and destroyed her dreams, Leila never imagined that the worst was still to come: terrifying powers that let her channel electricity and learn a person's darkest secrets through a single touch. Leila is doomed to a life of solitude...until creatures of the night kidnap her, forcing her to reach out with a telepathic distress call to the world's most infamous vampire...

He's the Prince of Night...

Vlad Tepesh inspired the greatest vampire legend of all—but whatever you do, don't call him Dracula. Vlad's ability to control fire makes him one of the most feared vampires in existence, but his enemies have found a new weapon against him—a beautiful mortal with powers to match his own. When Vlad and Leila meet, however, passion ignites between them, threatening to consume them both. It will take everything that they are to stop an enemy intent on bringing them down in flames.
Goodreads Button
Available At:

Check Out The Other Books In This Series:
(Linked to my review)


My Review:

This is a reread and boy does this book bring back memories! I used to love Vlad in the Night Huntress series. His series started off with a bang but he got progressively worse as the books went on. Eventually, I ended up disliking this series as a whole. I have an inkling as to why though I only have my very old review of the fourth book to go on. 

Layla is a sassy and spunky character with a backbone of steel. I really like how she stands up to Vlad and how she gets herself in and out of very drastic situations. I also like that she keeps Vlad on his metaphorical toes because he never knows what she's going to do next.

Vlad as a secondary character was better than as a main character. This novel showcases how controlling, domineering, and bloodthirsty (haha) he is. He came off as sarcastic and aloof in the Night Huntress series and I can't say I prefer him in his own books. I believe my problem with this series is with how his controlling and domineering nature get progressively worse as the novels go on.

Overall, this novel was very entertaining and a great start to what I once hoped would be a great series. I'm hoping I can rationalize his traits enough to enjoy this series again because it is a good vampire series.

The Audio Book:

The narration was great! All the characters were distinguishable and there were no weird noises in the background of the recording.

My Rating:

2 comments:

  1. I still haven't got any titles by Jeaniene Frost on my shelves! Perhaps I should use my Audible credit to get this one. I love Tavia Gilbert's narrations for the Southern Ghost Hunter Mysteries.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you're just starting your Jeaniene Frost journey I'd recommend starting with the Night Huntress series. That series is the jumping off point for all her other vampire books. Though you can definitely read this as is but I think you'll understand/enjoy the characters and the worldbuilding more by starting with the series that started everything ♡

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...