If you use an Adblocker please consider whitelisting this blog.
By viewing and/or clicking the AD's you make the future of this blog brighter! Thank you!

Advertisement

Monday, February 4, 2019

Book Review: Shadow Walker By Anya J. Cosgrove

Shadow Walker
(Bloody Hearts #1)
By Anya J. Cosgrove


First rescued by two sexy, mysterious brothers and now torn between them, what’s a witch to do?

Be good? Or wicked…

Nothing stays black and white in a world full of shadows.

As a newborn witch, I am destined to die. Demons are waiting in line to kill me, own me, or simply harvest my blood.

Good thing I don’t believe in destiny.

Two brothers helped me escape. Thom is human, and he has an incredible sense of humor. Liam is an infuriating demon that not-so-secretly hungers for my blood.

The otherworld is a dark, dangerous place where nothing is as it seems, not even my new protectors. The brothers’ past is catching up to us and demanding my soul as payment for their sins.

To survive, I must embrace the darkness. And the darkness is coming…
Goodreads Button
Available At:
| Amazon |

Check Out The Other Books In This Series:
(Linked to my review)


My Review:

I'm surprised by how much I liked this book and how much sleep I lost while making my way through it! The strange thing is that I usually dislike books that feature love triangles. I think I liked it because it wasn't the focal point in the story. Everything is up in the air at this point and there are more important things to deal with other than deciding who the main character wants.

Alana had her moments. Some kick*ss moments and other very whiny moments. I could sympathize with her enough to let most of it roll off but she pushed her luck on various occasions. I wish Alana had more of a sense of humor, preferably darker and accepting of sarcasm (but that's just a personal preference). The author did a great job at building the mystery up from her perspective. She's just as lost as the reader and it struck the right balance of mystery that didn't become unreasonably frustrating by the end.

I'm not sure which team I'm on but I'm leaning more towards Liam. Even though he's a demon and did really bad things both in the past and present. I like his dark demeanor, overall sarcastic sense of humor and dark outlook of the world. Though the hot and cold thing can go away if I have any say in it.

Thom, on the other hand, is human and I'm not sure how long he'll survive in the supernatural world. That's probably just my pessimism speaking considering he's been entrenched in this world for most of his life and he hasn't died yet, right?

I love the creature concepts and the overall world the author started building in this novel. I hope she continues to expand on it with future novels in this series. I also liked the creature definitions that would pop up when one was mentioned. Though maybe a glossary would be better suited for those in the future if the amount of different creatures starts to grow out of control.

This book ended in a good good-for-now ending, which is a very strange statement coming from someone who hates but has learned to accept any kind of open ending and the slightest of cliffhangers in books over the years. I'm very invested in this story and I want to know what happens next!

My Favorite Quotes:

"Ghosts and demons in fiction were funny or disgusting-looking but never scary."

"I used to watch supernatural teen dramas and hope I'd find my own dreamy hero."

"Starting over was hard but staying in limbo was worse."

My Rating:

2 comments:

  1. That cover is... well I love the colors. And the guy ha. Sounds really interesting!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...