If you use an Adblocker please consider whitelisting this blog.
By viewing and/or clicking the AD's you make the future of this blog brighter! Thank you!

Advertisement

Friday, February 17, 2017

My Ramblings: Open Ended Endings...


Open Ended Endings...

Am I the only person who wants a concret never changing 100% ending in all the stories I read? Does that make me abnormal for wanting to hold authors to that made up rule that I have in my head?

This has come up a few times in the past years (since 2009), but I've always 'tried' to not let it faze me. THE TIME HAS COME...for me to ask very nicely that all authors end novels in the way I consider right. 

I'm blowing this out of proportion because it legitimately bothers me. I recently found out that what I considered to be on it's way to become a series will stay put (until further notice) at only two books. There would be no problem with that except for the fact that the last book left off at an open ended ending. For all I know the characters could have gone on countless adventures after that book ended, or they could be dead because of an unknown allergic reaction. 

To this day there is a series (which I will not name) that left off at such a despicable ending that I can't forget about. It genuinely keeps me up at night. The author of said unmentioned series has said over the years (six years to be exact) that she would maybe continue their story after the characters were older. That still hasn't happened (with the exception being a novella here and there). That's not enough for me! It's too short. 

When this subject gets brought up I get fired up. I would never bash any author for the endings that they write for their story. At the end of the day, it's still their story. Some would say I should be honored to have the privilege of reading their stories, but I still want to ask very politely for an ending that I don't need to make up in my head.

Am I the only one that feels this way?
Has this happened to you?
Let me know in the comments below!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...