If you use an Adblocker please consider whitelisting this blog.
By viewing and/or clicking the AD's you make the future of this blog brighter! Thank you!

Advertisement

Friday, June 30, 2017

My Ramblings: Book Novellas: Love Or Hate?

Book Novellas:
Love To Hate Or Hate To Love?

I've found myself flip flopping between loving book novellas and hating them in the past few years. I guess it all depends on my love of a series. If I really enjoy the characters and their individual personalities then it's likely that I'll want to read more about them between books. If I don't particularly care about the story or the author hasn't sparked my interest in other characters then it's likely I won't care enough to look for and read those novellas. 

It wasn't always like this. I used to be obsessed with finishing every novel I started and if that turned into a series that had 10 novellas between every book then you could be sure I was going to put myself through the pain of reading every single word in those side stories. I'm so glad I lost that part of myself in the past.

The types of novellas that are an exception to my arbitrary rule are novellas that take place in the same time as the original story and gives you a glimpse into what the side characters are doing to help or fix the main problem that the series based out. When it includes a crucial part of the story and has a purpose, that's the one thing my mind loves: something that has a purpose.

Don't think I'm being too rational. Having a purpose (if I like the series enough) can be equated to almost anything (be it important or trivial). I'd read a story about a favorite character of mine throwing a party if I liked him/her enough. 

Do you particularly enjoy reading novellas?
Am I strange for even thinking this is an actual dilemma?
Let me know in the comments below!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...