If you use an Adblocker please consider whitelisting this blog.
By viewing and/or clicking the AD's you make the future of this blog brighter! Thank you!

Advertisement

Monday, August 21, 2023

Book Review: Hard Limit By Sybil Bartel

Hard Limit
(Alpha Antihero #1)
By Sybil Bartel

One f*cking breath.

That's all I needed.

Air in my lungs so I could exhale through the pain.

My ribs broken, my face in the mud, one leg useless, I tried and failed to lift my head. Mosquitoes swarmed, and the sun dropped. I wasn't gonna die out here. No f*cking way. I was Tarquin Scott, and that was a hard limit. One arm crawl after another, I needed to man up.

I wasn't dead yet.

But then I heard her voice, angel soft and breathless, and I wondered if I'd been kidding myself. I didn't have time to figure it out. A small hand landed on my back and I fisted my bloody knife.

I wasn't gonna die tonight. But someone else was.

*HARD LIMIT is the first book in the Alpha Antihero Series.

The Alpha Antihero Series

HARD LIMIT
HARD JUSTICE
HARD SIN
Goodreads Button
Available At:
| Amazon | B&N | Kobo | iBooks |

Check Out The Other Books In This Series:
(Linked to my review)


My Review:

* This book is part of the Wanted: An Outlaw Anthology along with 19 other full novels that were released January 8th, 2019 as a boxset for charity. It has been released on its own as of December 20th, 2019

Anti-heroes aren't something that I look forward to reading about. Especially considering the part Candle AKA Tarquin plays in a few other novels in this author's other series. His redemption ARC started quite a few books ago and I'm not sure how to feel about him as a character.

**Spoilers**
I was glad that this series picks up right after the cult leaves him for dead. So he technically hasn't done anything bad to anyone, in this particular time and place. I wonder what happens from now on that makes him end up in a place where the events of the Uncompromising Series takes place.
**End Of Spoilers**

Tarquin (who eventually becomes Candle) is different than I imagined him to be with all his future appearances in the other series. He may not be evil, as of yet, but he's not candy canes and gumdrops either. There's a balancing act that the author is trying to hold and I can't say I hate it.

Shaila was sassy and had a backbone when things needed to get done. I imagine she's going to be quite a match for Tarquin in the future. Though why she saved a dying man on her so-called father's land is still beyond me.

With all that being said, this still felt like half a story and not in a good way. The way it ended to give room for a cliffhanger felt way too abrupt and almost panicked. I understand this is going to be a trilogy but there had to be a better for-now ending other than where the author left off. 

My Rating:


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...