If you use an Adblocker please consider whitelisting this blog.
By viewing and/or clicking the AD's you make the future of this blog brighter! Thank you!

Advertisement

Thursday, May 1, 2014

Book Review: Devil May Care By Pippa Dacosta

Devil May Care
(The Veil #2) 
By Pippa Dacosta

Length: 290 pages
Expected publication: May 21st 2014

“He should be dead. I thought I’d killed him. I was wrong.”
Three dead Enforcers in three weeks, their bodies butchered. Muse has seen it before, and when she reads the metal memories in the murder weapon, she sees it all again. Her owner, Damien, is back, and he wants what is rightfully his.

Muse escaped him and the netherworld, once before. This time, she’s stronger, smarter. This time she knows she has the fires of hell at her fingertips, but so does Damien, and he’s not the only one. Akil is weak. No longer a Prince, he needs Muse’s limitless power to regain his title. How fortuitous then, that Akil’s fate is tied to the one man she cares the most for.

As Muse, Stefan, and Akil battle their own demons, not all will come away victorious. Some choices can never be forgiven. Some lies are never forgotten. Some wounds will never heal.

For more info on this series:
FB Page | Website |


Check Out The Other Books In This Series:
(Linked to my review)


My Review:

* An eARC was provided to me by the author in exchange of an honest review.

This book was as confusing as it was AWESOME! The story picks up a few months after what happened with Stefan and Akil at the end of book 1. I still have more questions then answers and my heart continues to break time and time again for Stefan.

My heart hurt for Muse on various occasions. She lost the only person she actually had started to care for. Akil f*cked her over so many times and yet her Demon still wants a piece. Nothing would go her way and when it did we were rewarded with a plot twist that left us hanging on for dear life. Those were just a few examples of what you can expect for Muse in this novel.
I had control issues, enough emotional baggage to excite a team of psychiatrists, and - thanks to my demon half-  a penchant for snap decisions driven by instinct.
I'm a sucker for Stefan, so it was heartbreaking having to realize that after being "gone" for so long that what happened happened. I'm still hoping that he'll win his mental battle, but his future seems bleak and dangerous from where I'm standing. 
He wasn't like Akil. I couldn't drain Stefan of power. We were twi sides of the same coin, destained never to meet and yet so close.
Akil had to have his 15 minutes of fame in this novel yet again. He's a lying, twisted, son of a #&*@(, yet he still comes out the hero in the end. I'm naturally against whatever is "hip" at the moment and the team everyone is picking in a certain book so I will stand tall and say I dislike Akil with EVERY fiber of my being C:
Perhaps that was the change I sensed in him: a humbling.
I wasn't expecting the twist with Nica and I loved how Stefan finally showed Adam (AKA Mr. Boss, AKA his Dad) who was really in charge.

The ending wasn't satisfying in the least. I'm still stuck in the dark about various details in the story and I don't appreciate the addition of EVEN more (if that's possible) problems with no foreseeable solution. I already know I'll be swimming in plot twists in the next book.

Favorite Quotes:


"The feeling would pass, the horror would fade, and I could go back to pretending I was perfectly fine."

"I pity an man, demon or otherwise, foolish enough to believe he owns you."

"My thoughts shatter. My human comes. He is strong. I have not yet won. I will. I release... I go ... I am caged, but I pace. I am hungry. I want. I need. I am chaos and chaos will not be controlled."

My Rating:





***
Author Info:


Born in Tonbridge, Kent in 1979, Pippa's family moved to the South West of England where she grew up amongst the dramatic moorland and sweeping coastlands of Devon & Cornwall. With a family history brimming with intrigue, complete with Gypsy angst on one side and Jewish survivors on another, she has the ability to draw from a patchwork of ancestry and use it as the inspiration for her writing. Happily married and the Mother of two little girls, she resides on the Devon & Cornwall border.
Facebook | Website | Pinterest | Twitter |


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...