If you use an Adblocker please consider whitelisting this blog.
By viewing and/or clicking the AD's you make the future of this blog brighter! Thank you!

Advertisement

Monday, August 29, 2022

Book Review: Anton By Sophie Lark

Anton
(Underworld #5)
By Sophie Lark

I Know Her Secret…

I saw her singing in a seedy little nightclub.

My boss says I’m supposed to kidnap Violet and bring her back to Paris.

The Bratva have a plan for her.

But the closer I get to Violet, the more I want her for myself.

I’ll take her from her bed in the middle of the night. I’ll bring her into my world.

And I’ll show her who she really is…

“Anton” is a mafia romance, full of danger, forbidden love, and bloody retribution. It’s Book 5 of the Underworld series — a prequel to “Roman”. It’s a standalone novel, complete with HEA and no cliffhangers. Intended for mature readers only.
Goodreads Button
Available At:
| Amazon |

My Review:

This story lacked a clear plot throughout it and the characters didn't make up for the loss. Everything felt on the surface and the chemistry between the main characters was nowhere to be found. I think I built this story up so much in my head that when I finally sat down to read it my expectations were too high.

From the beginning, music and her brother and sisters are a big part of who Violet is. After the mafia storyline kicks into place it mostly disappears, only making an appearance here and there much later on. What I'm trying to say is that it became an afterthought even though it was presented as an integrally important thing to the heroine. That being said, I didn't really connect with the heroine, at all. I liked her initial spunk though.

I also couldn't connect with the hero. I didn't feel the so-called chemistry they had either. I disliked how there was supposed to be this huge obstacle between them being together but after the "uprising", it suddenly wasn't a problem anymore. I wish it was more dragged out or maybe less rushed. 

Though I didn't guess the plot twists only the second one really hit home. There was something fishy clearly going on but I wasn't expecting what actually happened. Though as violent as that was the rest of the novel was SO tame. Considering this is a mafia story I was expecting it to be much darker and way more violent than it actually was. The veneer of "changed ways" and "legal dealings" that Viktor promoted to Violet was just that it seemed.

Overall, I think all my issues with this novel can be summed up with the writing. It wasn't necessarily bad but it didn't captivate me either. The ending was way too upbeat for being a mafia series. These people are supposed to be in the criminal underbelly. How do they get to live relaxed lives now that they've prevailed from exactly one gruesome event (I've only read this book in this series so I'm probably wrong about that number)? Then again, that's what I imagine the mafia to be and I'm probably very wrong about it. I guess this is a case where my imagination filled in the blanks for a story and what I actually got didn't prove itself to be better than my imagination.

My Rating:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...