If you use an Adblocker please consider whitelisting this blog.
By viewing and/or clicking the AD's you make the future of this blog brighter! Thank you!

Advertisement

Monday, November 28, 2022

Audio Book Review: Saving Angel By J. L. Weil

Saving Angel
(Divisa #1)
By J. L. Weil

Length: 6 hours and 50 minutes
Narrator: Tara Millette

With millions of pages read in the series and thousands of copies sold, Saving Angel will transport fans of Twilight, The Mortal Instruments, and Divergent to a world unlike any other... Now includes bonus novella Losing Emma!

I couldn’t help but wonder what my life would be like if we had never moved to the ho-dunk town of Spring Valley, Illinois. Sure the internet service is splotchy, there is nothing but miles of wheat fields, and I probably wouldn’t be faced with death at every corner.

My only neighbor in this god forsaken town is…well, there really is only one to describe him—hot as hell. With his sinful dark looks, unusually silver eyes, and kissable lips, there is something about Chase Winters that is more than meets the eye.

Of course I am determined to find out.

Chase might be drool-worthy, but he is also insufferable, arrogant and…in short a d-bag. Our relationship is anything but love at first sight. Not even close. There is something weird about the family living next door.

What I hadn’t expected to find is an underworld of trouble.

Chase and his cousins Lexi and Travis are Divisa—half-demon, half-human. Getting them angry is hardly in my best interest, not if I want to live.

As it turns out, that might be the least of my problems. I’ve been tagged by Hell.

Now every ugly, nasty being from hades is on my trail. I have suddenly became a magnet for demon disaster, and the only way I am getting out of this alive is by putting my life in the demon spawn’s hands.

One wrong decision and my butt is toast.
Goodreads Button
Available At:

My Review:

I've realized that I sometimes have a habit of reading the synopsis of a book and buying it right away without much thought. This is yet another one of those books. I truly thought I was making a good decision. Turns out I was very very wrong.

Had I bothered to read the Goodreads reviews for this novel beforehand I wouldn't have started it in the first place. A large number of people kept mentioning how almost strangely similar this novel seemed to be to Jennifer Armentrout's Lux series. For full disclosure, I read a few books in the Lux series and really enjoyed them in the past. It's been quite a few years so it isn't fresh in my mind but overall I can't dispute the fact that the broad strokes of this story are too similar for comfort to the Lux series.

With that being said this novel read like a knock off Lux series with the writing being a little worse for wear and the character's not being all that likable. Enemies to friends, when done well, makes for a pretty cool story (though it's not a favorite of mine). This was not one of those.

The heroine felt like she was SO special because she wasn't like other girls. She was a gAm3R, she didn't like shopping, and don't even mention not having an internet connection for a full 24 hours or she's going to flip. She had such annoyances with her mother as well, even though she seemed like a stereotypical "cool mom". The hot and cold thing she had with the hero was very frustrating and started giving my whiplash at one point. She had quite a few too-stupid-to-live moments that could have been avoided had she bothered to tell someone where she was going. 

The hero was a stereotypical alpha-hole except he was a wanna-be "alpha" and had random outbursts of anger towards the people in his life, particularly the heroine. What he needed was an anger management course and maybe some therapy (then again therapy is good for everyone). The way he ran hot and cold was incredibly annoying. The best part about it all? It was usually for no apparent reason. Is anyone out there a psychic so we can foresee when his next outburst is going to be so I can make myself be somewhere else?

The other two characters around his age that live with him (whose names I can't be bothered to remember at this point in time) were really interesting characters. I wish this story was focused on them instead of the douche and the special one. 

By the end, I couldn't care less if I tried. I will not be picking up any future books in this series. I'm also on the fence about picking up books by this author in the future. I will say one last thing though, the book covers for this series are amazing!

The Audio Book:

The narration was okay. There were a few moments throughout the novel where the audio got fuzzy and corrected itself and maybe a random very faint noise here and there. Her voices were good and every character was discernable throughout the story. 

My Rating:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...