If you use an Adblocker please consider whitelisting this blog.
By viewing and/or clicking the AD's you make the future of this blog brighter! Thank you!

Advertisement

Monday, April 8, 2019

Book Review: Goddess Ascending By Heather Hildenbrand

Goddess Ascending
(Gods and Guardians #1)
By Heather Hildenbrand

Promised to the Light. Hunted by the Dark.

Two things happen the night Elidi Brant is attacked. She learns she's not human, and she is saved by the impressive and, also definitely not human, Kol Valco. Kol tells her something big and world-breaking is after her, but he promises to protect her until she “ascends.”

Elidi doesn't know what ascending means or how to access the abilities Kol insists she has, but she trusts him. The claws and fur he can sprout at will make her feel safe. However, safety is a fragile thing and the force after her is more powerful than Elidi can imagine.

With the clock on Elidi’s mortality ticking, she must find a way to access her gifts or kill them both in the process.
Goodreads Button
Available At:
| Amazon |

My Review:

I keep getting surprised by how much I end up loving certain books and this is definitely one of those! The author does a great job of keeping me guessing and sprinkling information in strategic places to keep the story going. I liked the writing style very much!

Elidi was something alright! She's this supposedly powerful being and finds herself entrenched up to her neck in a world she didn't even know existed before the crap really hit the fan. I liked that she wasn't a woe-is-me kind of person or an I'll-stand-back-and-let-the-big-man-save-me kind of person. It made for a great story while moving at a steady pace.

I'm definitely on team Kol for this one! He's serious but he can joke around. Even though it's not officially official in their world he's doing what he believes is right. I like that quality in a character.

I loved the world the author built and how she made secondary characters so memorable and three-dimensional. It made for an even better and more realistic universe.

The one thing that bothered me in this book is deciphering whether or not this is a reverse harem novel. At times it seemed to subliminally swing towards that but then the heroine would state that she's set on one guy. It was weird. There's nothing mentioning it in the synopsis (as of scheduling this review) so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it's not because it's not something I look for in the books I read.

A Note: After I finished the book I emailed the author inquiring about whether or not this series was going to be a reverse harem romance and her answer was yes. So it doesn't look like I'll be finishing this series even though I loved the world building and overall mythology the author created.

My Favorite Quotes:

"What's light without a little darkness?"

"The way to a man's heart is through his fourth and fifth rib [...]."

"You're the light. The sunshine. Remember that."

My Rating:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...