If you use an Adblocker please consider whitelisting this blog.
By viewing and/or clicking the AD's you make the future of this blog brighter! Thank you!

Advertisement

Monday, November 5, 2018

Audio Book Review: Bodyguard By Jennifer Ashley

Bodyguard
(Shifters Unbound #2.5)
By Jennifer Ashley 

Length: 5 hours and 3 minutes
Narrator: Cris Dukehart

Elizabeth Chapman is saved from an armed robber by a giant Kodiak bear who shifts into a large, well-muscled, and fully naked human male. But when it's revealed that the robber is the brother of a dangerous criminal, Elizabeth finds herself the target of a vendetta.

Ronan, the Bear Shifter, takes her to Shiftertown for safety, where Elizabeth learns that the mateless Ronan, alone in the world, takes care of Shifters who have also been left on their own. Having grown up in foster care, Elizabeth can only admire how protective Ronan is.

But Ronan will only let Elizabeth leave the confines of Shiftertown if he becomes her 24/7 bodyguard. Elizabeth chafes at her restriction, but agrees. The trouble is, the sassy human Elizabeth is triggering Ronan's long-buried need to find himself a mate.

A short novel of the Shifters Unbound series (46,000 words; sixteen chapters).
Goodreads Button
Available At:

My Review:

I came across this book because a few people on Goodreads that are in my feed recently re-read a few books in this series and were saying how amazing this series as a whole is. After reading a novella in the series (which in this type of series that feature a different couple in every book should be able to stand alone in my opinion) I don't see what everyone else saw in this book. 

This novel (probably because it's a novella in the series) didn't do a good job educating me on how the universe the author built worked. My biggest grievance was with the collars. I wanted to understand how they came to be specifically and how they were built, how long they took to become a necessity. The heroine (for having lived in this world as long as she had) was no help whatsoever. She was just as uninformed as me (the reader) which made her come off as very dense and quite naive.

Ronan was an okay guy. Though he did get overly possessive way too quickly of Elizabeth. Which leads me to something else I disliked about this story: the insta-love. I understand it's a novella, but things getting that "deep" that quickly doesn't work for me.

The ending was rushed and way too easily resolved. Nothing made me feel like anything was a life-or-death situation so it didn't have the emotional impact the author probably wanted. Overall, I would have liked to have had more information on the universe the author created present in this novel, for people like me, who don't always start a standalone book series on the first book.

The Audio Book:

The overall narration was nice, but the story felt like it was missing something which made everything not so good. I will say that there were some words that, to me, were miss pronounced because I'm so used to hearing them spoken one way on tv shows, movies and other book narrations that every time they were said I would cringe a little.

My Rating:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...