If you use an Adblocker please consider whitelisting this blog.
By viewing and/or clicking the AD's you make the future of this blog brighter! Thank you!

Advertisement

Tuesday, December 5, 2017

Audio Book Review: Red Winter By Annette Marie

Red Winter
(Red Winter Trilogy #1)
By Annette Marie

Narrated By: Emily Woo Zeller
Length: 11 hours and 21 minutes

In a few short months, Emi's mortal life will end when she becomes the human host of an immortal goddess. Carefully hidden from those who would destroy her, she has prepared her mind, body, and soul to unite with the goddess—and not once has she doubted her chosen fate.

Shiro is a spirit of the earth and an enemy of the goddess Emi will soon host. Mystery shrouds his every move and his ruby eyes shine with cunning she can’t match and dares not trust. But she saved his life, and until his debt is paid, he is hers to command—whether she wants him or not.

On the day they meet, everything Emi believes comes undone, swept away like snow upon the winter wind. For the first time, she wants to change her fate—but how can she erase a destiny already wrought in stone? Against the power of the gods, Shiro is her only hope … and hope is all she has left.
Goodreads Button
Available At:
| Amazon | Audible | B&N |

Check Out The Other Books In This Trilogy:
(Linked to my review)


My Review:

I picked up this book because I loved the Steel & Stone series by this author. I love how she weaves a story and how intricately everything seems to be intertwined with something else throughout the story. With that said, I wasn't expecting to like this book as much as I did! The mythology around everything was very interesting and well done.

Emi was a multifaceted character and the writing helped translate that. Underneath it all, she's still a young girl who hasn't gotten to experience life because of something she was chosen for and accepted. I hated how everyone talked down to her even though they were the ones that ended up keeping a huge secret. Her choice to, essentially, "serve" was made on false pretenses and that broke my heart. Walking into that kind of situation blind and changing the direction of your life for it is the deepest betrayal.

I really liked Shiro. As secretive and standoffish as he was in the beginning, he eventually warmed up to Emi. Is it bad of me to want him and Emi to have a chance at a relationship? I know there are so many extenuating circumstances, but they're so cute together.

The one and only thing that bothered me in this novel were the names. I went through the same thing when I first started watching anime. I could remember the characters faces and the purpose they had in the story, but I couldn't, for the life of me, commit their names to memory. I haven't watched anime in a long time, so I seem to have regressed in that aspect. By the end of the novel the names were getting jumbled up in my head and I would find myself lost for a few seconds or so trying to understand the scenes. It's my own fault (which I will admit to). I'm just not used to it anymore, but I'm hoping to get better at it as the story progresses.

The Audio Book:

I liked the overall narration, but Emily doesn't have a very big range of male voices. There were characters that sounded like they were the same person by voice in a single conversation (which only helped with my difficulty in remembering the names of everything and everyone in this novel). 

My Rating:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...