If you use an Adblocker please consider whitelisting this blog.
By viewing and/or clicking the AD's you make the future of this blog brighter! Thank you!

Advertisement

Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Book Review: Going Down In Flames By Chris Cannon

Going Down In Flames 
By Chris Cannon



Type: ebook
Length: 407 pages
Expected Publication: June 30th 2014
Published By: Entangled Teen Ember


If her love life is going down in flames, she might as well spark a revolution.
Finding out on your sixteenth birthday you’re a shape-shifting dragon is tough to swallow. Being hauled off to an elite boarding school is enough to choke on.

Since Bryn is the only crossbreed at the Institute for Excellence, all eyes are on her, but it’s a particular black dragon, Zavien, who catches her attention.

Zavien is tired of the Council’s rules. Segregated clans, being told who to love, and close-minded leaders make freedom of choice almost impossible. The new girl with the striped hair is a breath of fresh air, and with Bryn’s help, they may be able to change the rules.

At the Institute, old grudges, new crushes, and death threats are all part of a normal day for Bryn. She’ll need to learn to control her dragon powers if she wants to make it through her first year at school. But even focusing on staying alive is difficult when you’re falling for someone you can't have.
Available At:
| Amazon | B&N | Kobo | iBooks |

Check Out The Other Books In This Series:
(Linked to my review)


My Review:

* I was provided an eARC by the publisher in exchange of an honest review.


I LOVE anything dragon related! So I was sure I was going to like this book. Add in a sexist society with a kicka** heroine and you know it's going to be an awesome read!

I loved the way Bryn thinks. She says the first thing that comes to mind. Though sometimes (MOST times) that may get her into trouble, it was what I found the most lovable in her. Considering she's only 16, she acted childish in a few moments in the book, but it'll let it slide because of her age. The only problem I had when it comes to Bryn and her Dragon is that everything came WAY too easily. I just think that she should have had a harder time with flying and the cool color/healing power she had going on.

I didn't really like the love interest...well interestS. One (Zavien) was part of a radical group trying and failing to change the laws. 
"You're like Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. One minute you're nice, and the next minute you're obnoxious."
The second (Merick) wanted her as a mistress and was 10 YEARS older then her and most importantly married. To say the least, I was rolling my eyes when she thought much of one or the other.
"If she spotted him, she'd blast him to cinder. And then she'd be the one going to jail because being a presumptuous, adulterous a**hat was legal in polite dragon society, while flash-frying said a**hat was not."
The "villain", I don't know if you could actually call Ferrin that (since the REAL villain comes to light in the last pages of the book). The only way I can describe him is as the 'good' villain. Does that make sense? The same way he acts like a demigod, he acts like a 5 year old who wants revenge on something idiotic that happened 19 years ago. He's not really a level headed leader who I'd trust the governing of a society to.
"You haven't changed at all. You still have a God complex."
The end was expected because of the events that took place in the last few chapters. I wasn't really satisfied with it. A lot of plot points are still left in open, even though I wouldn't consider it a cliffhanger it comes VERY close. I'm not talking about a suspenseful cliffhanger, but a cliffhanger when you're kind of left out to dry too long and feel uneasy (if that description made any sense...?). 

Conclusion: I am looking forward to Book #2!

Favorite Quotes:

"I threatened him with bodily harm. He promised to bring me cake for the rest of my life. We worked it out."

"Living a simple life full of love had to be better then living an extravagant life full of hate."

"They taught me to stand up for myself."

My Rating:

& ½

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...