If you use an Adblocker please consider whitelisting this blog.
By viewing and/or clicking the AD's you make the future of this blog brighter! Thank you!

Advertisement

Monday, May 9, 2022

Audio Book Review: Capture the Crown By Jennifer Estep

Capture the Crown
(Gargoyle Queen #1)
By Jennifer Estep

Length: 13 hours and 30 minutes
Narrator: Lauren Fortgang

Best-selling author Jennifer Estep returns to her Crown of Shards world with an all-new trilogy and a bold new heroine who protects her kingdom from magic, murder, and mayhem by moonlighting as a spy.

Gemma Ripley has a reputation for being a pampered princess who is more interested in pretty gowns, sparkling jewelry, and other frivolous things than learning how to rule the kingdom of Andvari. But her carefully crafted persona is just an act to hide the fact that Gemma is a powerful mind magier - and a spy.

Gemma is undercover, trying to figure out who is stealing large amounts of tearstone from one of the Ripley royal mines when she encounters Prince Leonidas Morricone of Morta - her mortal enemy. Gemma tries to steer clear of the handsome prince, but when she finds herself behind enemy lines, she reluctantly joins forces with Leo. Also coming to Gemma’s aid is Grimley, her beloved gargoyle.

Despite the fact that Andvari and Morta are old, bitter enemies, a dangerous attraction sparks between Gemma and Leo. Further complicating matters is Leo’s murderous family, especially Queen Maeven Morricone, the mastermind behind the infamous Seven Spire massacre.

The closer Gemma gets to the stolen tearstone, the more deadly plots she uncovers. Everyone is trying to capture the crown, but only one queen can sit on the throne...
Goodreads Button
Available At:

Check Out The Other Books In This Series:
(Linked to my review)


My Review:

From the start this book had me intrigued. I loved that this story was in the vein of the Blood And Ash series that I've been loving these past few years. Through that series, I discovered that I really like fantasy and therefore should be reading more of it. So here we are!

The first few hours of this story were fantastic but then it got really boring through the middle only to pick back up again in the end. The way everything was set up I assumed it would be action-packed always and when that didn't happen I got a tad bit bored.

Gemma was a bad*ss! She may be a princess and have a constructed reputation for being air-headed but that doesn't mean she doesn't care about her people. She took it so far as to become a spy. I love her tenacity and her willingness to put herself in danger to better understand and help out the people who believe in her.

Leonidas of Motra was interesting. Throughout the story, we don't know what side he's solidly on until the end. He's done Gemma very dirty in the past but he kind of grew on me? Like a fungus, you could say. He also has a very sad and heartbreaking life story. I couldn't help but have a soft spot for him. 

Considering that the main genre I read is romance I kinda, sorta wanted more romance. All the longing gazes and the instances of hand holding for a few seconds were not enough! From what I understand this series is pure fantasy but a girl can hope right? 

The ending was action-packed and I loved every minute of it! It's what I wanted the whole book to be. I want more of that in the next book in this series. The very last interaction between Leo and Gemma was so sad and heartbreaking. In what world could they possibly be together? That's the answer I'll be looking forward to getting before this series ends. 

The Audio Book:

The narration was okay. Personally, I just didn't think that the voice went with the main character. That's probably something that's going to be personal to me though. The characters were distinguishable from each other and there were no weird noises in the background.

My Rating:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...