If you use an Adblocker please consider whitelisting this blog.
By viewing and/or clicking the AD's you make the future of this blog brighter! Thank you!

Advertisement

Monday, March 15, 2021

Book Review: Magic Bound By Theresa Kay

Magic Bound
(Ravencrest Academy #1)
By Theresa Kay

Starting a new school is never easy, but this time not fitting in could cost lives.

Despite being raised by shifters, my life was fairly ordinary . . . until I tried to break up a fight and got zapped with magic.

Then, all hell broke loose.

The binding spell placed on me as an infant broke and I found out in a painful and rather unpleasant manner that I’m actually a witch.

Sounds great, right? Yeah . . . not so much.

Now, the very people my birth mother tried to hide me from want to use my concealment as an excuse to push an anti-shifter agenda. The only way to keep my adoptive family—and myself—safe is to enroll in the elite Ravencrest Academy and prove I can control my newfound abilities.

Unfortunately, raw power doesn’t translate into competency and magic alone does nothing to help me navigate the ins and outs of witch society. But even with all the things working against me, I manage to make a few new friends and there's a spark of something more with the last person I expect.

Still, I can’t let that distract me from the ugly truth that many who walk the halls of Ravencrest are eager to see me fail. To keep the peace between shifters and witches I must succeed . . . no matter the cost.

Magic Bound is the first book in an exciting new YA paranormal academy series with a slow burn enemies-to-lovers romance. Perfect for fans of Supernatural Academy, Shadowspell Academy, and Evermore Academy.
Goodreads Button
Available At:
| Amazon | Audible |

My Review:

Let's start off with the good! The writing style is fantastic! The overall pacing of the story is on the slower and steady side of things, which really works for this one in particular. I really enjoyed the world-building though I would have liked for there to have been more of it throughout the story. 

Now onto the less pleasant! Say it with me: Incompetent adults! All of them. Except for Basil. He was just sweet and helpful when he could be. The adults either treated a teenage girl like she was last week's garbage because of who she was raised by or gave her barely any instruction to understand the basics of their world. I'm petty but these people took it to a whole other level that's out of this stratosphere. 

Tristen was also a big annoyance of mine throughout this story. The hot and cold thing he had going on with Selene was incredibly infuriating. They didn't get off on the right foot but when progress was finally being made things would revert themselves. Excuse me, I mean he would revert to being a complete crap stain just because he could. I can understand that things are tough for him but that doesn't mean he gets to take it out on anyone and everyone much less Selene who is also dealing with a lot too.

Selene was a great character! Being in her head was a totally fine experience. What I disliked, however, was how every adult seemed to think that throwing her out in the deep end without any instruction and telling her enough times that she could do it would be the way to go from here. She needed someone to instruct her on magic and how to control it. Letting her deal with crappy professors and putting her with Tristen from the beginning was a very idiotic move.

The ending was what I was expecting after everything happened. I have a theory about where this series is going. I'll spare you the details considering its spoilers, on spoilers, on spoilers. BUT this is one of those times I truly hope I'm wrong though.

My Rating:


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...