If you use an Adblocker please consider whitelisting this blog.
By viewing and/or clicking the AD's you make the future of this blog brighter! Thank you!

Advertisement

Monday, January 11, 2021

Book Review: Betrayals & Broken Promises By Takari Hunter

Betrayals & Broken Promises
(Masquerade of Myths #1)
By Takari Hunter

Being a chameleon demoness already made things tricky, but did it need to be this difficult?

All Dahlia wanted was her freedom, but first, she needed to buy out of her promised bonding, a promise that was made for her before she was even born. Almost a century of trying had taken its toll, and she’d done things she wasn’t proud of. Lost parts of herself along the way and flirted with the darkness inside her.

And it flirted back.

She told herself it would all be worth it in the end, but before she won that battle, everything in her life systematically blew up in her face—one piece at a time. Blaming it all on the beautiful, egotistical vampire who showed up in her life would be easy, but it started long before he arrived. With his help, she might succeed, but Dahlia wasn’t sure she could trust an outsider—not even one sent by Lucifer himself.

Dahlia was standing on the brink of having everything she’d ever dreamed of, but she also risked losing it all.

Was her freedom really worth the cost?
Goodreads Button
Available At:
| Amazon | B&N | Kobo |

My Review:

I'm SO deeply sorry I let this book sit on my TBR pile for as long as it did. If it wasn't for a review that I read about it calling this a very original take on paranormal creatures with excellent writing I would not have picked this up when I did. This book was everything that that reviewer said and so, so, so much more! 

I loved the sheer amount of paranormal creatures the author decided to include in her universe. I also loved the original take on chameleons because even after reading paranormal romance and urban fantasy for the better part of a decade I hadn't come across something like that. Though by the end I did get a tad bit confused so I'd really appreciate a glossary of paranormal creatures with general details on their magic and how they look in future novels of this series.

Dahlia was a very interesting and complex character to get to know! Though to say her luck ran out and everything piled up on her throughout the duration of this book is putting it so, so, so mildly. There were times she made me laugh out loud (which a book hasn't done for me in years) and I was legitimately angry on her behalf with all the crap she had to deal with. I also liked that she made mistakes but learned from them while being held accountable.

Personally, I wished the romance sub-plot was more prominent in this book. I have a feeling that it's going to play a much bigger part in the series going forward and I'm excited! Though I'm very much still on the fence when it comes to Edwin. I like him when he's sweet, but then he turns into a douche bag, but then he goes and does something nice for her, but then he gives her a piece of his mind unprovoked. 

The ending was exciting but also without many answers. After reading that epilogue, I'm even more interested in Edwin and his backstory. The villains were something else in this story as well. I lost count of the number of times I wanted to wring their necks personally. Long story short, this author knows how to weave an incredible and complex story with flawed and imperfect characters in an exciting new universe of her making. I'm excited for any and all future books by this author if she keeps this up!

A Note: The cover is AMAZING. Well done covers make the story shine that much brighter and every penny the author put into that cover is worth its weight in gold. 

My Favorite Quotes:

"Sinking into insanity would be better than enduring a waking nightmare."

"I've only ever been a pawn for someone else to use for their own purposes, but I'm tired of being pushed around somebody else's chessboard."

"I could be a stubborn, vindictive b*tch when provoked, and death seemed like a serious provocation."

My Rating:


4 comments:

  1. Wow! Sounds like a great story, Mikky, the cover looks gorgeous too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was! I can't wait for the next book! Don't even get me started on how amazing that cover is!

      Delete
  2. Awesome! I was on the fence about reading this one, but it sounds really good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you end up reading this because it's SO worth it!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...