If you use an Adblocker please consider whitelisting this blog.
By viewing and/or clicking the AD's you make the future of this blog brighter! Thank you!

Advertisement

Monday, December 2, 2019

Audio Book Review: Storm and Fury By Jennifer L. Armentrout

Storm and Fury
(The Harbinger #1)
By Jennifer L. Armentrout

Length: 14 hours and 20 minutes
Narrator: Lauren Fortgang

Eighteen-year-old Trinity Marrow may be going blind, but she can see and communicate with ghosts and spirits. Her unique gift is part of a secret so dangerous that she’s been in hiding for years in an isolated compound fiercely guarded by Wardens—gargoyle shape-shifters who protect humankind from demons. If the demons discover the truth about Trinity, they’ll devour her, flesh and bone, to enhance their own powers.

When Wardens from another clan arrive with disturbing reports that something out there is killing both demons and Wardens, Trinity’s safe world implodes. Not the least because one of the outsiders is the most annoying and fascinating person she’s ever met. Zayne has secrets of his own that will upend her world yet again—but working together becomes imperative once demons breach the compound and Trinity’s secret comes to light. To save her family and maybe the world, she’ll have to put her trust in Zayne. But all bets are off as a supernatural war is unleashed…
Goodreads Button
Available At:

Check Out The Other Books In This Series:
(Linked to my review!)


My Review:

This book made me realize something that I probably should have figured out while I was reading the Dark Elements series. My problem with those novels was always one character (Layla) and not the overall story because I ended up loving this novel. Even though it was more on the slow end of the spectrum it made for a fascinating journey!

The new heroine Trinity has a much better head on her shoulders. Maybe it's because she's 18 and more "mature". All I can tell you is that I gravitated towards her as a character. She fights for what she believes is the right choice, doesn't attract drama like the plague and *bonus* knows how to talk things out like an adult without whining or throwing a fit.

Zayn was very toned down from what I remember him being in the Dark Elements trilogy. Though that's probably my fault because I just couldn't take the drama Layla was causing and skipped the third book altogether. From what I pieced together from the information provided in this story I have a very vague idea of what happened to him and it makes that third book sound amazing, if only it weren't for Layla... Anyway, Zayn was very responsible and has matured quite well. He has a temper but is still respectful enough to let things go and converse about it later on.

Roth was a fantastic part of this book! Without Layla being present and the drama she brings with her, I really enjoy his personality! The more I think about it the more I realize that I disliked Layla not the story or the universe the author built in the Dark Elements series.

The twist at the end was like a knife twisting in my heart! Trinity and Zayn just found each other and now this happens. I want to know more about their protector bond and how they're going to deal with the consequences of having it and their possible blossoming relationship (maybe I'm being too hopeful!). Here's to a year-long wait!

The Audio Book:

I didn't dislike the narration but I think a different narrator should have been chosen. Lauren Fortgang has a decent range of male and female voices but she can only go so far. Roth's voice, in particular, was unfortunate and it felt like I was hearing her destroy her voice for an end product that was dubious at best.
_____________________________
First Reread (June 1 2020): I still adore this book! I reread this in preparation for the second book getting released on June 9th. Still an amazing story, with fantastic characters and very good world-building. Note: The second time around with the audio book I swear that about 3 or 4 hours to the end of the narration the narrator calls Roth "Ross". I cackled so hard at that!

My Rating:


2 comments:

  1. Great review! I really enjoyed this one and can't wait for the next book! I haven't read The Dark Elements, but I'm planning on starting it this month with the beginning novella.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 2020 here we come! I'm so hyped for the next book in this series! I hope you have better luck with The Dark Elements Series than I did :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...