If you use an Adblocker please consider whitelisting this blog.
By viewing and/or clicking the AD's you make the future of this blog brighter! Thank you!

Advertisement

Monday, November 4, 2019

Audio Book Review: Spartan Heart By Jennifer Estep

Spartan Heart
(Mythos Academy: Colorado #1)
By Jennifer Estep

Narrator: Amanda Dolan
Length: 10 hours and 27 minutes

New school year, same old problems . . .

At Mythos Academy, everyone knows exactly who I am: Rory Forseti, Spartan girl and the daughter of Reapers.

Even though I fought alongside my cousin Gwen Frost to save the mythological world from Loki and his evil Reapers of Chaos, I’m still the most hated girl at the academy because of all the horrible things my parents did. I had hoped that this school year would be different, but the other kids just won’t let me forget about my parents.

But something strange is going on at the Colorado academy. First, I run into a Viking guy who dislikes me more than most. Then I notice some odd artifacts in the Library of Antiquities. And worst of all, I start hearing rumors about a new group of Reapers who can summon mythological monsters.

I might be the most hated girl at Mythos Academy, but I’m also the only one who can save it . . .
Goodreads Button
Available At:

My Review:

If you only knew how much I wanted to adore this novel! I wanted to like it so much that I gave it a shot in two different formats and two years apart from each other because I initially DNFed this as an eARC in 2017. Maybe I've just outgrown these books because I loved the original Mythos Academy books. That's how I'll justify this so I can still sleep at night.

Rory was, in theory, a great character but after so many times of comparing herself to Gwen and so many other characters I just wanted to agree with her to shut her up. She's a bad*ss in her own right but she apparently couldn't see that. I understand she's a teenager and they are more likely to be insecure, it just got under my skin how many times it was brought up.

The Viking whose name escapes me now (Ian, maybe?) started off on the wrong foot. I disliked him from the beginning. It's later revealed why he has such a chip on his shoulder towards Rory and I'm sorry but that still doesn't excuse him. Just because you're going through some unfortunate situation doesn't mean you can take it out on other people. I can't forgive and forget that whole situation. All of that was me saying how much I still dislike him and how he did barely anything for the story.

The ending was left open to continue to set up the next novel in this trilogy. At this point, I'm just not invested enough in the characters or the story to go on with the next book. The Mythos Academy novels were fun but I've learned that this spin-off isn't for me.

The Audio Book:

The narration was good, but I would have preferred a different narrator for this novel. Amanda Dolan doesn't have enough of a range of male and female voices/tones/accents to not make almost everyone sound alike. 

My Rating:


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...