If you use an Adblocker please consider whitelisting this blog.
By viewing and/or clicking the AD's you make the future of this blog brighter! Thank you!

Advertisement

Monday, July 29, 2019

Book Review: Supernatural Academy: Year One By Jaymin Eve

Year One
(Supernatural Academy #1)
By Jaymin Eve

Maddison James is about to discover some truths about the world.

Firstly … supernaturals exist.
WTF?

Secondly … she is one, even though no one seems to know exactly what kind.
Double WTF.

Thirdly … she’s about to go back to school.
Well, things just got a little more interesting.

The Supernatural Academy is where shifters, vampires, magic users, and fey are educated. Where they are taught about their abilities, and how to function in the human world. Maddison already has the human part down, but this supernatural thing is an entirely new dangerous game.

Example one: mean girls who can actually turn you into a frog.

Example two: Asher Lock, a god at the Academy. Not literally … well, who knows for sure. He certainly acts the part, as do all of his minions who worship him.

Asher drives her crazy, because apparently snarly, gorgeous, and arrogant is her thing, and despite their mutual dislike, sparks fly between them. The more they’re thrown together, the more Asher is determined to figure out what’s been blocking her abilities.

Until the moment the truth is revealed, and they find out nothing in this supernatural world is what they thought.
Goodreads Button
Available At:
| Amazon |

My Review:

As always, with this author, I adore the world-building! She does a fantastic job at making this magical universe a realistic and believable one. My one problem with everything is the overall pacing, which I'll elaborate on later in this review.

Maddi has had a crappy life so far at 22 years old and it just got so much weirder. I like how sassy and stubborn she is. She doesn't accept everything right away but she doesn't turn into a hysterical mess either. Given time she adapts quite well to her new life. Her relationship with Asher takes a long while to start but after that things take a turn with lots of impossible problems with no solutions.

Asher and all his friends seemed like awesome guys. I don't understand why they're so standoffish to most everyone in the school except the new girl and her friends, but I can let that slide. He seems to like and be intrigued by Maddi just as much as she is by him. They seem like a great couple.

I've been unofficially taking a break from YA for a few months. I've been having the worst luck when it comes to picking out books in the YA section. So I liked how this book took something that would usually be in the 15-17 age bracket and put it into a new adult/adult form. I can't say this enough, the world-building is amazing! The map at the beginning of the book was awesome.

The only problem I had with this book was the pacing of the story. The first half was way too slow. It took over 18 chapters for Maddi and Asher to have a full conversation. The second half felt rushed for no apparent reason because some obscure things started connecting the dots out of thin air and then it ended. If there was one thing this author would benefit in improving in future books it would be developing streamlined pacing for a book/series.

The end wasn't what I was expecting it to be. I was on the edge of my seat waiting for a lot of things to possibly happen but what actually happened wasn't it. I'm interested in what happens next and maybe even getting a series of spin-off books for Asher's group of supernaturals.

My Favorite Quotes:

"This year there would be light, because I'd had my damned share of darkness,"

"Music moves everyone in different ways and it's magic even humans can access."

"Sorry, I sometimes talk without thinking. It's a problem I'm not working on."

My Rating:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...