If you use an Adblocker please consider whitelisting this blog.
By viewing and/or clicking the AD's you make the future of this blog brighter! Thank you!

Advertisement

Monday, April 1, 2019

Book Review: Breathing Lies By Jessica Sorensen

Breathing Lies
(Breathing Undead Duology #1)
By Jessica Sorensen

The Avertonson brothers and I have been friends for as long as I can remember. They’re also twins, but where Foster is all light, Kingsley is darkness and danger.

I’ve been in love with Foster for a while, but the night I finally get the courage to tell him is the same night I nearly drown.

I don’t remember much about what happened, but when I come out of that lake, I’m not the same girl I was before I went in. I’m lost and confused, especially over how I was saved.

Foster insists he’s the one who swam into the water to save me. I want to believe him, but I keep having these dreams where Kingsley is the one who pulls me out. But both brothers swear it was Foster.

I’m not sure what to believe or why they'd lie, but I need to find out the truth. But the more I search for answers, the more I realize I don't know the Avertonson brothers as well as I thought.
Goodreads Button
Available At:
| Amazon |
My Review:

This book captured me in a way I wasn't expecting it to. I liked the overall dynamic the plot had in keeping the reader/the main character in the dark but it got frustrating by the second half. A few minor details did eventually come to light. The way the story left off makes it impossible for me to not pick up the next book.

Harlynn was an interesting character to a point. She usually finds herself at the right-place-and-time too often to be believable (even for a fictional piece of literature) for my taste. I liked the paranormal element the story had but, personally, I wish the author had punched it up more. It's barely there and when it really starts going the book ends.

Kingsley was the main reason I kept reading this novel. His secretive actions and overall shut-down demeanor did something great for this story. Though I predicted way too much of his actions at the beginning of the novel, I still liked seeing it all develop.

Foster was a jack*ss and I don't know everyone even liked him. After reading about him for 5 pages I could smell the BS rolling off him in waves. How anyone stands him would be my question to all the other characters in this novel.

One other problem I had with this book were the names for the male main characters. I couldn't get them right because they all sounded alike and pretty much blurred into one character in the early chapters. The names were identical to other characters this author has written about in other novels, so that also left me scratching my head. There are SO many names available why reuse the same names?

Overall this was a good book. It kept me intrigued until the end. Though the paranormal element could be put on a higher level I want to know more about what's going on.

My Favorite Quotes:

"Do you ever get the feeling that life is just one big, pathetic tragedy?"

"[...] Wanting something and getting it doesn't exist in my world."

"But what if there's more to death then just spirits."

My Rating:


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...