If you use an Adblocker please consider whitelisting this blog.
By viewing and/or clicking the AD's you make the future of this blog brighter! Thank you!

Advertisement

Friday, January 18, 2019

My Ramblings: Types Of Characters I Want To See More


Types Of Characters I Want To See More

Men that show human emotion when situations call for it. "Alpha" men are nice to entertain but after reading a handful of books about these stoic men you eventually come to the conclusion that if you've seen one you've seen most of them. I'm not bashing anyone who likes to read about men like that (that's they're prerogative and I like it too sometimes) but I sometimes like a little bit more realism in with my fiction (that sounds strange coming from someone who mainly reads paranormal romance and urban fantasy, I know).

I have a goal for 2019 to read books that involve troupes that I don't usually like. I would love to see a book that involves a love triangle where there's no one-upping each other and where they can still be friends in the aftermath. I don't think I've come across a paranormal romance novel that's done that yet.

Present and understanding best friends and parents. This is mostly a YA book thing but I hate how mean-spirited and downright evil parents can be to their children in those books. Being stern and having reasonable rules are things I understand and can get behind but having a screaming match because the bus they take got to their stop 2 minutes late is too much. The best friends aren't any better in some cases. They either serve to push the main character toward the love interest or push them into doing something everyone (including the main character) knows they'll get busted if they do and do it anyway. Make them nice and having them have a purpose.

What are some character tropes you'd like to see more of this year?
Let me know in the comments below!

6 comments:

  1. It's funny you mention this- I'm reading Kitty Takes a Holiday right now and there's a paranormal romance and sort of a love triangle- they're all friends and it remains to be seen how it plays out but I THINK they're still gonna be friends afterward? I'm hoping.

    I agree about the parents/ best friends thing too. I love it when a book has awesome parents and/ or best friends!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a breath of fresh air! You just tripled my interest in the Kitty Norville Series! :)

      Delete
    2. Oh good. :) I just finished Holiday the other day and she ended up (it looks like) with the one guy, but whether the Cormac character is completely out of the picture remains to be seen. I think he's reappear though and continue to be close to them.

      Delete
    3. I hope there are audio books for the Kitty Norville series :)

      Delete
  2. I think YA has been getting more and more stories with present parents. The only time I see "bad" parents are when they really need to be for the story. I also think more and more romance authors are giving us those well-balanced alphas. They have that alpha tendency, but they are also sensitive and respectful to women. Recent heroes are such a contrast to those in older books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The YA books I picked up in the last year (I may be mistaken so don't quote me) have had at least one that aggressive/mean parent. I can understand if it's for the story but if it's just for the sake of being mean it's annoying. Now that you say that it really does ring true! I hope well-balanced alphas are here to stay. :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...