If you use an Adblocker please consider whitelisting this blog.
By viewing and/or clicking the AD's you make the future of this blog brighter! Thank you!

Advertisement

Friday, December 28, 2018

TV Show Review: A Discovery Of Witches Season 1

A Discovery Of Witches
Season 1


Diana Bishop, historian and witch, accesses Ashmole 782 and knows she must solve its mysteries. She is offered help by the enigmatic Matthew Clairmont, but he's a vampire and witches should never trust vampires.


More Information At:


My Review:

If I'm being honest I initially watched the first season of this show because I thought it was reminiscent of Twilight and I wanted to have a good laugh at its expense. I wasn't planning to bash it anywhere and it was just something to pass the time (even though I have an already extensive list of shows I want to watch or am in the middle of watching). Let me also mention that I respect Twilight for what it was and am in no way bashing it in this review. Something else that made my interest peak was because this show is based on a series of books (by Deborah Harkness).

I'm happy to say that this proved me right and wrong in different aspects. The main couple was rather similar to what I remember Edward and Bella being like. The guy was somewhat controlling (or doing his best to control her) and she was very clueless about things she shouldn't have been and gullible to a strange degree for being as old as she was (early 20's I'm guessing?).

Though the main female character did evolve to become a formidable powerhouse but still clueless on what control is (which is typically the story for these kinds of shows/movies/books). He was still slightly creepy if I'm being honest. Something about him rubs me the wrong way and I don't know how to explain it.

If the reviews I read on the novels this is based on weren't so bad I would consider picking up the books because the world the show brought to life is fascinating! I liked seeing how big it felt and how real it could be if it were to exist.

P.S. As interesting as this show turned out I don't remember anyone's names.

My Rating:

2 comments:

  1. Ooh I remember hearing about this adaptation being made, and the book sounded kinda interesting with the whole finding a lost manuscript or whatever it was- sorry to hear it wasn't very good though. That's good to know, I'll probably give this one a miss. I don't get the whole controlling thing in 2019- I mean shouldn't we be past romanticizing that?

    Sometimes it is fun just to watch a show expecting it to be bad lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like I said the universe the show created was awesome, the relationship between the main couple not so much. This series isn't all that new so maybe the controlling thing was probably at an all time high when it initially got released? There are times when hate-watching a show for the fun of it is totally worth it :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...