If you use an Adblocker please consider whitelisting this blog.
By viewing and/or clicking the AD's you make the future of this blog brighter! Thank you!

Advertisement

Monday, September 23, 2013

Book Review: Say When By Tara West

Say When
(Something More #1)
By Tara West


He told me to say when, but I can’t. Not with Andrés. It’s so hard to say anything when he’s trailing feather soft kisses down my neck, or when his touch sends hot currents of lust rippling across my skin.
Then there’s the way he smiles and offers soft words of encouragement when I’m creating art, almost like he believes I have talent.

He’s not like any guy I’ve ever met. Not like my ex-fiancée. Not like my father. He’s got me thinking that maybe we can have something more. More than just lust, degradation, and abuse.

And now I’m scared, because that means I’ll have to trust him with more than just my body, but with my heart, too.

Goodreads Button
Available At: 
Amazon | B&N |

My Review:

I am a total sucker for books with abused turned strong heroines. With that being said, I can't really say I enjoyed this book very much. It wasn't so bad that I was being dragged through the novel, but it was so good that I was speed reading to get to the end. It was just average. 

This book didn't focus on the emotional part of the abuse. When the story is introduced Cristina has already gone through the "transformation" from abused victim to strong I-will-kick-you-in-the-balls-if-you-mess-with-me attitude. It would have been better had the story began a little earlier in Cristina's life.

The stinking rich fiancé (Jackson) was a b*tch to read about. The words used by Cristina to describe him had me laughing hysterically.
"He looks like a child on the verge of a tantrum."

Everything Andrés was, Jackson wasn't. On the contrary to Jackson, Andrés was charming, caring and deserving of affection. He was also mexican (which was a huge problem with Cristina's mother) and had a great personality. Andrés was just amazing to read about.

Cristina's mother (AKA The Spitting Cobra - Thanks to Karri for that nickname) was a selfish, racist, prejudiced, cold hearted woman. She stood there while Cristina was being abused and did nothing. She even had the audacity to say that she was the one with the pain and guilt. She even insists on Cristina marrying a rich, annoying and snobbish guy.

Karri really surprised me in the end. The twist the author put there totally threw me for a loop. I just wasn't expecting that. Which was a really good surprise.

The only problem I had with this novel was the way Cristina kept insisting on comparing Andrés with Jackson. Hun, there's just no way to compare a good, kind hearted man to a rich snob who has his daddy to bank him for the rest of his life. So move on already.

Favorite Quotes:

"The spitting cobra is waiting for me at the door with her fangs unsheathed."

"He hates how they always call him a hero, especially when he doesn't feel like one. Heroes are supposed to save the day and get the girl."

"Keep your eyes on the prize."

My Rating:


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...