If you use an Adblocker please consider whitelisting this blog.
By viewing and/or clicking the AD's you make the future of this blog brighter! Thank you!

Advertisement

Friday, October 13, 2017

My Ramblings: Straightforward Self-Help Books


Straightforward Self-Help Books

I've gotten into reading self-help books for the last year or so and I don't understand why I was so against them in the beginning. I can guess it's because the only types of books in that category that found their way to me where the fluffy you-can-do-it-if-you-try kind of books. The way I'm programmed doesn't make it possible for me to take those types of books seriously. I've been through some rough patches and I can tell you with all the certainty in the world that just because you try, it won't ever mean you'll succeed. 

After all that I found I like very straightforward and to the point self-help books. If you group that into my love of sarcasm and a rather dark sense of humor, you get very helpful books that don't care about how they'll make you feel. That's the reason I adored Mark Manson's 'The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*%#'. He doesn't sugar coat anything and presents facts to back up everything he's talking about.

I don't like beating around the bush and appreciate honesty in all areas of my life. I don't want to read a book where the author tells me life is perfect if you just try. All that does is make me angry, which is probably not what it was intended for. Mark Manson said in his blog post 'The Disease Of More', "Life is a game of tradeoffs. And you must eventually choose what you’re willing to trade based on what you value".

I agree wholeheartedly with that. Life will never be one hundred percent good or bad. You choose what negative situations you can stand to live with and appreciate the rest. I'll end with one last quote/saying. They say the truly insane do the same thing every day and expect a different result every time. Don't be that person.

Do you enjoy reading self-help books?
Let me know in the comments down below!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...