If you use an Adblocker please consider whitelisting this blog.
By viewing and/or clicking the AD's you make the future of this blog brighter! Thank you!

Advertisement

Tuesday, May 9, 2017

Top Ten Tuesday: Ten Things On Our Reading Wishlist*

Hiya My Little Predators!!

Welcome back to the Top Ten Tuesday meme!!

It's a weekly feature created By The Broke and the Bookish!

This Week's Topic:
Ten Things On Our Reading Wishlist*


* Things I want to see more of in books (tropes, a time period, a specific type of character, an issue tackled, a certain plot, etc.). This includes all things that make you think 'I want more of this in books'.

1. Powerful (AKA either having actual magical powers or just being fierce and strong on the day to day) main characters with disabilities. From the few novels I've read that include these types of characters, it makes for a much more interesting and plot driven story.

2. More books that have LGBTQ+ characters. To this day (if my memory is to be trusted) I can only recall one (fantasy/futuristic) series that I have read that has made a point to include a bisexual, a transgender and a gay character in the main storyline. It's called the Isolation Series By Taylor Brooke and it's amazing.

3. Books that have bookish characters! I adore it when the main character or his/her best friend nerds out over books. It's fascinating! Ex: Katy in Jennifer Armentrout's Lux series.

4. More books that involve mermaids! Every book I find on mermaids can be put into two categories: A) It's middle grade and childish; B) It's erotica with a barely there storyline. I want fleshed out stories with twists and turns about mermaids being hunted down and having to survive or something (with a romantic interest that doesn't want to kill them first just because she's/he's a mermaid/merman (?) and special).

5. I want more respect between female characters in books. That sounds strange, but it's a horrible mentality to compare yourself to someone else. I despise it when a female characters starts putting herself down because in their head their best friend is so much more bubbly and prettier than they are. Can't we accept that we all have flaws and beauty is subjective?

6. Less domineering 'alpha' males. I can agree that a few characteristics of an 'alpha' male can add something interesting to a story when done the right way. When he start's making life altering decisions on behalf of the female and ignoring what she wants to do with the situation it becomes infuriating and makes him look like a complete jack*ss in my point of view.

7. More originality! Either in making up unique creatures that aren't considered 'mainstream' or come up with innovative twists and turns in stories. Most people say that if you've read a vampire book you've basically read them all. With most stories that can be true, you just have to get through enough of those to find a few gems along the way.

8. I'd like to see more human experiments that later become a superpower type novels. I know that sounds very out there and quite frankly wrong, but I REALLY enjoy those types of stories. I don't think I'm doing such a good job of explaining what I mean and not sounding like I'm a sadist. Here are a few book series as examples of what I mean: Darkest Powers By Kelley Armstrong, Darkness Rising By Kelley Armstrong & Altered By Jennifer Rush.

9. More recent witch books! I don't mean the creepy 'toile and trouble' kind. This type of story has the same problem I've come across when trying to find mermaid books nowadays. A few years back witches were all over the place because vampires were starting to die down and I remember consuming many, many fascinating stories. I'd like to find new adventurous witch stories set in either urban fantasy or the new adult genre. 

10. More sarcastic and witty characters in general. I'm a big defender of sarcasm. I believe it makes the heart grow fonder. It also makes for one kick*ss main character. Having a best friend or a companion that participates in that type of humor is even better.

Do you like sarcasm as much as I do?
Do you like mermaids/mermen (?) ?
Let me know in the comments below!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...