If you use an Adblocker please consider whitelisting this blog.
By viewing and/or clicking the AD's you make the future of this blog brighter! Thank you!

Advertisement

Friday, February 19, 2016

My Ramblings: Continuing With An Existing Series Written By A Ghost Author

Hiya My Little Predators!!



Continuing With An Existing Series Written By A Ghost Author

I have mixed feeling on this this subject. The ONLY time I read a series continuation without knowing it wasn't by the original author (I was young and naive. Don't judge me.) was the Vampire Diaries books.

I was about 11 years old and I remember Goodreads being very new to me. One bright and sunny day I was looking up the third book in the original series and out of the blue I saw another Vampire Diaires-esk cover in the sidebar and I clicked. At that age all I saw was more Vampire Diaires and never stopped to think it through. Looking back, had I stopped and thought about it I probably wouldn't have picked it up, but as you know, kids will be kids.

The original trilogy left off in a perfect ending, but all 11 year old Mikky wanted was more Damon. I got through one and a half of the follow up books and ended up hating everything. The story was so farfetched and nothing like the original books. As I was reading I felt something was off and just couldn't put my finger on it. It's what I would imagine what reading fan fiction of a favorite series of yours is like. You know there are some things being said that a certain character wouldn't necessarily say, but there it is written for your reading pleasure.

Conclusion: In my mind, only the original author who initially created the character's will know said character's ins and outs. That's why I will not KNOWINGLY read any series continuation written by someone who isn't the original author. I'm picky, don't judge me C:

Are you picky like me?
Did you like the follow up in the Vampire Diaries Book Series?
Let me know in the comments below!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...