If you use an Adblocker please consider whitelisting this blog.
By viewing and/or clicking the AD's you make the future of this blog brighter! Thank you!

Advertisement

Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Book Review: Fighting Shadows By Aly Martinez

Fighting Shadows
(On the Ropes #2)
By Aly Martinez

Length: 327 pages
Published: July 7th 2015

I come from a family of fighters. I always thought I’d follow in their shadows, becoming unstoppable in the ring. That changed the day I saved the life of a woman I loved, but could never have.

My brother hailed me as a hero, and my reward was a wheelchair.

Paralyzed, my life became an inescapable nightmare.

Until I met her.

Ash Mabie had a heart-stopping smile and a laugh that numbed the rage and resentment brewing inside of me. She showed me that even the darkest night still had stars, and it didn’t matter one bit that you had to lie in the weeds to see them.

I was a jaded asshole who fell for a girl with a knack for running away. I couldn’t even walk but I would have spent a lifetime chasing her.

Now, I’m on the ropes during the toughest battles of my life.
Fighting the shadows of our past.
Fighting to reclaim my future.
Fighting for her.
Available At:
| Amazon | iBooks |

Check Out The Other Books In This Series:
(Linked to my review)


My Review:

I was expecting so much from this sequel. I ecstatic that it didn't let me down. This series shows you that even if your down on your luck (be it money wise, family wise, or love in general wise) it can and will get better if you pick yourself up and keep going at it. Flint's story was very inspirational. 

In the first book Flint seemed like a laid back, intelligent, and very worldly person. When we meet him again in this book he's broken. He's become a shadow of what he used to be and it takes him meeting Ash to start fighting for his life again.

Ash is the young, weird, silly and all around out going person. Though judging from the way her life is you'd never say those exact words about her personality without talking to her. She breaks Flint's walls and for a few minutes at a time she actually brings the old Flint out.

This was an amazing story with a happily ever after for Flint and Ash. The book does leave off with a bit of a cliffhanger when referring to Quarry. Sad as that may be, I look forward to accompanying Quarry on his way to his happy ending as well.

My Favorite Quotes:

"[...] I fell in love with a girl who changed my life by showing me that even the darkest nights still had stars and it didn't matter one bit that you had to lie in the weeds to see them."

"As far as I was concerned, fairytales were real and love only came once in a lifetime, and I had just used mine on a boy who had already given his to another girl."

"Flint, don't get so caught up on the shadow that you forget the man who casts it. You might not be able to walk, but that's the extent of your disability."

"But you know what? Problems don't need a map. They'll follow you everywhere. You can't hide forever, Flint."

My Rating:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...