If you use an Adblocker please consider whitelisting this blog.
By viewing and/or clicking the AD's you make the future of this blog brighter! Thank you!

Advertisement

Monday, September 12, 2022

Audio Book Review: What Lies Beyond the Veil By Harper L. Woods

What Lies Beyond the Veil
(Of Flesh & Bone #1)
By Harper L. Woods 

Length: 13 hours and 1 minute
Narrator: Ava Lucas

Once, we’d worshipped them as Gods.

For nearly 400 years, the Veil has protected us from the Fae of Alfheimr. In their absence, our lives have shifted from decadence and sin to survival and virtue under the guidance of the New Gods. I’ve spent my entire life tending to the gardens next to the boundary between our worlds, drawn to the shimmering magic like a moth to the flame.

Then, we died on their swords.

All of that changes the day the Veil shatters, unleashing the fae upon our world once again. The magic of faerie marks those of us they mean to take, but the Mist Guard protecting Nothrek will kill us all before they let the fae have us. There’s no choice but to flee everything I’ve ever known, not if I want to live to see my twenty-first birthday as a free woman.

Now, they’ll claim what’s theirs.

But before they capture me, Caelum saves me from the Wild Hunt. Fae-marked and on the run, he is able to fight back in ways I only dream of. From tentative alliance to all-consuming passion, our bond strengthens as the fae close in and evil lurks ever nearer. With my life on the line, he is everything I shouldn’t dare to want and a distraction I can’t afford. I can’t seem to stay away, not even with something greater on the line.

My heart.

Author’s Note: This book is intended for readers who are 18 and older. It contains mature language, graphic violence, and explicit content with darker elements. This is book one in a series and ends in a cliffhanger.
Goodreads Button
Available At:

My Review:

Content Warning/Trigger Warning: grooming; quite a bit of violence

Considering how Jennifer Armentrout's Blood And Ash series has been my absolute favorite these past few years I really, really, really loved this book! It's very reminiscent of BAA in terms of the similar setting and tropes. Though I will say that I saw the twist in this one coming from a mile away while with BAA it caught me completely by surprise.

The heroine has gone through some very tough and unfortunate situations. The first 6 or so hours of this book are rough due to that. Considering how she was brought up I can understand how naive and trusting she is with the hero. I still disagree with the end her brother had. I'd also like to know what happened to the place she lived in and how her mother is doing.

The hero comes off as being a very powerful and assertive man. He's cocky and sure of himself. It took some time for me to start questioning the level of power he had but after those doubts were sown I just *knew* what was coming. He's conniving and sneaky and I kinda sorta love him? He'll burn down the world if it means the heroine stays safe. I still hate the lies even if by omission but there's a way past this... right? RIGHT?!

The ending was not what I was expecting. Now I just want to know what happens next! Where the story takes off from here. I'll definitely be reading the next book!

The Audio Book:

The narration was great! There were no weird noises in the background. All the characters were distinguishable from each other.

My Rating:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...