If you use an Adblocker please consider whitelisting this blog.
By viewing and/or clicking the AD's you make the future of this blog brighter! Thank you!

Advertisement

Monday, October 19, 2020

Book Review: Initiation By Heather Renee

Initiation
(Elite Supernatural Trackers #1)
By Heather Renee

Being sent to prison just after my eighteenth birthday wasn’t exactly what I had in mind after getting my first taste of freedom. Neither was ending up in cell block B with all male prisoners. There had to be some sort of mixup, right? Wrong.

After a too-close-for-comfort attack, I’m taken in by the Fabled Four—a group of guys who don’t play by the rules and are prisoners here just like me. The only difference is they know what the warden wants from them and I have no idea.

Much to their leader’s dismay, it’s time to figure out the real reason I’m stuck in Mandora Supernatural Prison. Though, if I can’t learn to play by the rules in this twisted world, I just might get myself, or others I care about, killed.

Let the games begin.

*Please note, this is not a Reverse Harem book and recommended for ages 16+ due to language*
Goodreads Button
Available At:
| Amazon |

Check Out The Other Books In This Series:
(Linked To My Review)


My Review:

* Anything in red is a spoiler.

This book could have been a 4 or 5-star read had it not been for my dislike of the heroine, Cara. The writing and plotting were fantastic! The overall flow of the novel was steady and engaging. Unfortunately, the main heroine took a bit of its shine away.

Cara was a very frustrating character to get to know and it was even worse being in her head 24/7. She lacks any sense of self-preservation and likes to repeat on a loop about everything that's going on and how she feels at any given point in length. She made idiotic choices after being explained to/asked to not do just that. It was like the author wanted this to be a quirky personality trait of hers but all it accomplished with me was taking away the shine from a very good and well-written story.

The guys (AKA The Fabled Four) were your typical alpha-holes until the author decided to switch their names 40%+ into the novel. To say I was frustrated and confused is putting it mildly. It got to the point where I had to keep referring back to my notes when every guy was mentioned so I could keep them straight in my head. That also took away from the story.

Each guy has their individual personality and they did stand out from each other. Gunner/Mason was my favorite! His wisecracks were great by the end. Hawk/Jaxon was very annoying due to Cara's inner monologue and his need to throw temper tantrums when Cara did something he didn't like or agree with. I guess having an adult conversation about how they feel for each other is expecting too much out of him.

By the end, I was going more towards Team Owen than Team Hawk. I know we don't know anything about Owen or what his intentions are but call me crazy if I like a guy who treats women in a respectful manner. 

I hope Cara loses her quirky personality trait of not listening to anyone ever in book two because I'm curious as to what happens next with the Fabled Four, the Luccovino's, and Owen.

My Favorite Quotes:

"[...] I've never been one to let anyone dim my light, no matter how big or bad they are."

"Feelings made a person vulnerable, and I tried to avoid that at all costs."

"I wasn't just a survivor, I was a thriver."

My Rating:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...