If you use an Adblocker please consider whitelisting this blog.
By viewing and/or clicking the AD's you make the future of this blog brighter! Thank you!

Advertisement

Tuesday, June 5, 2018

Top Ten Tuesday: Five Books I Decided To DNF Too Quickly

Hiya My Little Predators!!

Welcome back to:
A weekly feature created By The Broke And The Bookish
Currently featured on That Artsy Reader Girl

Five Books I Decided To DNF Too Quickly

* Covers linked to Goodreads



1. All In (The Naturals #3) By Jennifer Lynn Barnes

I'm pretty sure I only lasted a few chapters in this story because nothing was happening. When an inkling of action started to get underway I gave up because I found the situation idiotic and not worth the characters getting caught over. I liked the first two books in this series. I'll have to push myself through this particular novel one day just so I know what happened to the characters.




2. The Beast (Black Dagger Brotherhood #14) By J.R. Ward

As much as I liked Rhage's book in the beginning of the series I just couldn't stand reading a story about how he and his mate get a child. I have nothing against kids, but I don't like reading about them if I can avoid it. There have been exceptions to that "rule", but this novel wasn't it.





3. Annihilate (Hive Trilogy #3) By Jaymin Eve

Something about this story got on my nerves or rubbed me the wrong way, but I can't, for the life of me, remember what. I didn't write anything anywhere about it. I just marked it as DNF on Goodreads.





4. Never Enough By Roxie Noir

I got through a good chunk of this novel and yet it took until the end of that "chunk" for things to maybe but still not really start happening. It was just too much build up to a situation that could have been introduced in the second chapter and built up from there.






5. Trickery By Jaymin Eve & Jane Washington

The following was written on Goodreads after I DNF this novel an hour into the audio book:

The society that was being built started to sound very interesting, but the heroine's take on the world and everything else was too naive to the point that I couldn't suspend my belief anymore. Everything was new to her or it was something she conveniently hadn't heard of before (but her friend/sister(?) knew almost everything). There has to be a smarter way to build a world that doesn't include the heroine lacking the knowledge to everything. I would have even preferred a three chapter monologue by that point.

What books have you DNF too quickly?
Do you secretly plan to give them another chance?
Let's discuss in the comments below!

6 comments:

  1. I don't feel like I DNF anything too quickly. I won't DNF unless I am at least 20% through the book EXCEPT for if it offends me before that point. The Naturals is actually a series I want to start, because I have heard so many good things about it. Sorry the series started to drag for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to only DNF books if I hit the 20% mark, but it got to a point where I was avoiding reading because I "needed" to read a certain book to 20% so I could "allow" myself to move on. I've thrown caution to the wind since then. Nowadays I'll DNF whenever I feel like it. The Naturals series is very interesting and I enjoyed the first two books very much. I was probably in a mood when I picked up the third book. I'd love to hear what you think about them :)

      Delete
  2. I haven't read any of these. I don't really DNF too much, but I am better at setting aside books if they just aren't working. I feel like I MIGHT go back to some, but others just won't working for me.

    -Lauren
    www.shootingstarsmag.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've told myself that I would go back to quite a few books. It maybe happened a handful of times. I can't be trusted to go back to a book after I've put it to the side because pf something that bothered me :)

      Delete
  3. Great list! I kind of have been wanting to read the Curse of the Gods series purely because it looks like it's one of those reads where you don't need to focus too intently but I can definitely see why it wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I would describe the Hive Trilogy By Jaymin Eve to be a story that you don't need to focus very much on to read and enjoy. Though I couldn't get through the last book for some unknown reason. Curse Of The Gods was too much of an information dump and had a heroine that was naive to an unbelievable degree.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...