If you use an Adblocker please consider whitelisting this blog.
By viewing and/or clicking the AD's you make the future of this blog brighter! Thank you!

Advertisement

Monday, May 7, 2018

Book Review: The Big Bad Wolf By Jus Accardo


The Big Bad Wolf
By Jus Accardo 

Kensey Deaton comes from an elite werewolf lineage, but just because her family is royalty, doesn't mean she'll fall in line like some perfect little princess. She has plans and they don't include an arranged marriage!

Slade McAlister has his own family drama. His Alpha father happens to be the most reviled wolf on the eastern seaboard, and it's a stigma he can't escape. So when his neighbor Kensey--the girl of his dreams and his nightmares--proposes a solution to solve *both* of their problems, he sees an opportunity he can’t ignore.

Kensey and Slade aren't only from opposite sides of the tracks, they're from opposite sides of the war. But if they can sell their 'relationship', they might just make it out of this with their freedom.

You know, as long as all that fake PDA doesn't turn into more...
Goodreads Button
Available At:
| Amazon | B&N | Kobo | iBooks |

My Review:

This was a very cute story, but I wanted more than what I got with this. I wanted this story to have more world building. It's inferred and mentioned here and there that this is a very misogynistic society in which women are a commodity to be owned and breed, but other than that I come up blank. I wanted to know more about how their world is run, how the alphas become alphas, how and why they still decide on keeping this strict society in this day and age. I would have loved to have gotten little excerpts of their "law" books at the beginning of each chapter as a fun little tidbit about their world.

Kensy is an awesome character. She's a rebel in their society, but in actuality, she just wants to be free to be herself and to not have to stand up to this perfect image of girls in this society. She also hates how they pit girls against girls for no other reason than it's been done in the last few centuries so why stop now kind of mindset. I disliked how a lot of people would call her crazy. That word shouldn't be used to refer to anyone. So she doesn't fit into their "norm" so she must have something wrong upstairs? Give me a break.

I wasn't buying what Slade was putting down. He was one of the characters that felt very erratic and two dimensional. I understand that him being unpredictable was within the scope of his character, but it never felt real. He would talk about all this trama his alpha put him through in the past, but would never give me enough specifics for me to decide if I could sympathize and justify his actions or not. Everything felt on the surface and that took away from the story for me.

The adults in this novel were horrendously evil and rude. Though one of them did have a change of heart out of nowhere in the middle of the novel. I don't understand or like this trope in books, but it did work for this story considering the world the author was trying to flesh out.

Overall this was a cute and quick read. The story moved along at a nice pace and though I disliked the way the love interest would flip-flop on being all in or not everything ended beautifully. 

My Favorite Quotes:

"The things we deal with, the things we go through, change us. Lige shapes us. But I don't believe for a single second that the changes go so deep that we lose ourselves."

"I am worth more than the blood in my veins. I'm not a commodity for you to use in an effort to increase your standing."

"You're not quite the monster you seem to think you are."

My Rating:



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...