If you use an Adblocker please consider whitelisting this blog.
By viewing and/or clicking the AD's you make the future of this blog brighter! Thank you!

Advertisement

Tuesday, October 3, 2017

Book Review: Hart Broken By Annie Arcane

Hart Broken
(Cale & Mickey #1)
By Annie Arcane

Mickey Hart doesn't do one-night stands, long-term relationships, or much in between. Even if he's gorgeous and rich and witty and charming and sweet and...

In a wheelchair?

Meet Cale Windermere. Quite possibly the sexiest man dead or alive. Walking or not.

Warning: Strong language, mature content, drama, and angst included. Shirt sold separately.

Goodreads Button
Available At:
| Amazon |

Check Out The Other Books In This Series:
(Linked to my review)


My Review:

This book was incredible! The witty humor and the stubbornness of the main characters kept me coming back for more. This was also my second time reading about a paraplegic main character and it didn't disappoint. It made it all the more evident the everyday struggles a paraplegic has to go through on a daily basis.

I saw so much of myself in Mickey (aside from the similar nickname). She's as imperfect as they come and that makes her an amazing character. She stutters, mixes up answers to questions, is prideful and makes idiotic mistakes (i.e. the hotel scene with her ex which had me shaking my head the entire time). I understand why she kept her past a secret, but it was still heartbreaking to see her relationship slipping through her fingers. I'd like to point out that before everything was revealed I could have sworn that I had missed something big, or that my iPad had corrupted the ebook in someway because I could have sworn that there was a page or two of critical information missing because the author kept me (the reader) in the dark until the very end. It ended up paying off, but it had me very confused up to the reveal.

Cale was so cute from the start. I loved how much of a nerd he was on some subjects and his sense of snarky humor was on point for the entire novel. He was also as stubborn as Mickey and that made their relationship all the more entertaining to read about. It was different, for me, to read about a paraplegic hero and I wasn't disappointed. He made it a point to overcome his disability as much as he could and for that he's earned my respect.

Looking back on the story it seemed very long winded, but it didn't feel like it (if that makes any sense). I think the on and off relationship and the limbo phase that it took could have been cut down and made for a faster paced book. At one point it's mentioned that Mickey and Cale's relationship spanned 3 months, but the way the book was set up it felt like at least a year. Overall, this book was great!

My Favorite Quotes:

"I was cruising around in the Batmobile on my nightly patrol of the city when I happened to come across Mickey, who was in desperate need of a superhero."

"Sometimes, once-in-a-lifetime means precisely that. Sometimes, you lose something great. Sometimes you don't get a second chance. Sometimes, you can't get it back."

"You go through life expecting paper cuts. You go through life learning from knife wounds. You go through life surviving the rest. Sometimes, you lose a piece of yourself that you can never get back."

My Rating:


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...