If you use an Adblocker please consider whitelisting this blog.
By viewing and/or clicking the AD's you make the future of this blog brighter! Thank you!

Advertisement

Tuesday, May 30, 2017

Audio Book Review: Unborn By Amber Lynn Natusch

Unborn
(Unborn #1)
By Amber Lynn Natusch

Narrated By: Angela Dawe
Length: 8 hrs and 17 minutes

Born into mystery. Shackled to darkness…

Khara has spent centuries discovering everything about the Underworld―except her place in it. But when she’s ripped from her home, solving the riddle of her origins becomes more important than ever. With evil stalking her through the dark alleys of Detroit, she finds salvation from an unlikely source: a group of immortal warriors sworn to protect the city. Khara needs their help to unravel the tangled secrets of who and what she is—secrets many seem willing to kill for. But time is running out, and the closer she gets to the truth, the closer necessity binds her to an arrogant fallen angel.

Can their shaky alliance withstand that which threatens her, or will her soul fall victim to the unholy forces that hunt her―those that seek the Unborn?

From the author of the bestselling Caged series comes a pulse-pounding new series of supernatural romance.
Goodreads Button
Available At:

My Review:

I have a bit of history with this novel that I'll get out of the way first. In 2014 I was provided an eARC via Netgalley of this book which ended up as a DNF. I was always intrigued by this novel, but couldn't get through it as a book. After I saw that it had an audio book version to it, I decided to pick it back up. It was easier to get through, but it still left a lot to be desired.

Everything about this novel seemed robotic. The grammar was too proper and because of that everyone had only one option: to speak in monotone. The narrator tried to infer emotion through the voices, but it just wasn't possible. Overall, I got very bored listening to this.

I disliked Khara very much. I also didn't understand the dynamic she had with her so called 'brothers'. One moment they were best friends forever and the next it's 'stay here and don't do anything'. To be fair, it did seem like she had a death wish from time to time. She made decisions no one in their right mind would make under those circumstances.

To tell you the truth all her brothers blended together in my head. I couldn't tell them apart even if it killed me. The only one that stood out was Oz, but I disliked him even more. His forced nickname of 'new girl' for Khara didn't have the impact the author intended it to have. It just grated on my nerves through the duration of the novel.

During the story it felt like everyone was holding something back and that bubble finally popped with the ending. It was somewhat predictable considering Khara's known history of bad decision making. After all that, I didn't care enough for the character's to want them to succeed. I won't be picking up the sequel to this novel.

The Audio Book:

Angela Dawe (the narrator) was doomed from the start, so there wasn't much she could do. As much as she tried to project emotion in her narration, the book was too robotic in it's grammar to give her much room for anything. The reading of the novel was good considering what the she had to work with.

My Rating:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...