If you use an Adblocker please consider whitelisting this blog.
By viewing and/or clicking the AD's you make the future of this blog brighter! Thank you!

Advertisement

Friday, April 7, 2017

My Ramblings: Generic Book Title Syndrome


Generic Book Title Syndrome

I'm one of those people who judges books on their physical appearance. I'm a monster, I know. I've tried to stop and give every book an equal chance, but I can't help it. If that's a sin then I'm guilty.

I have a pet peeve when it comes to book titles that is very real (to me). I call it 'Generic Book Title Syndrome'. Maybe it's just me, but I love those AH-HA moments when you discover that the title secretly means something important to the storyline. I live for those moments, but it seems more and more books don't do that anymore.

I don't like generic titles that every other book has a different rendition of it. I'm not intrigued or excited about the phrase 'One Last Chance' or 'Once Burned, Twice Shy'. It's been so overused that it no longer provokes any emotion from me. It only makes me gloss over that particular book faster.

Though I don't consciously pick up books based on their title, in the long term it does help the book be memorable to me. Most generic titled books (unless I really liked the author) doesn't make a long lasting impression on me.

Is 'Generic Book Title Syndrome' a thing?
Can you relate?
Let me know in the comments below!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...