If you use an Adblocker please consider whitelisting this blog.
By viewing and/or clicking the AD's you make the future of this blog brighter! Thank you!

Advertisement

Tuesday, November 22, 2016

Audio Book Review: City of Shadows By Pippa DaCosta

City of Shadows
(London Fae #2)
By Pippa DaCosta 

Narrator: Penny Rawlins
Length: 10 hrs 9 minutes
Alina knows she is not real – the fae queen spun an evil web to create her – but she wants more than to spend her days feeding off humans’ energy to survive. She isn’t content to lose herself in the dangerously attractive Reign. She wants a life of her own making.

Desperate to help the man who saved her life, Alina vows to find his missing sister. Alina is convinced that the general of the Fae Authority plays a part in her disappearance. She infiltrates the organisation and gets close to their strongest fighter. But while Samuel’s tormented soul and masterful touch stirs in Alina a feeling of being human again, her loyalty to Reign makes her Samuel’s enemy. Who should she trust?

This New Adult urban fantasy is packed with action and suspense and will have you yearning for more forbidden fae romance.
Goodreads Button
Available At:
| Amazon | B&N | Kobo | iBooks |

Check Out The Other Books In This Series:
(Linked to my review)


My Review:

Eventually came a lot sooner than I expected it to because I ended up adoring this book, but it didn't start out as smooth sailing. In the beginning I felt like Alina was grasping at straws to force a story. I eventually got over that and ended up listening to the audio book in small intervals. I got addicted by the seven hour mark and emotions just went haywire from there. 

As I mentioned above, Alina seemed to force a storyline because I never understood her obsession with Becky. I understand she wanted to help Andrews, but why go so far to save someone she didn't even know? Other than that I enjoyed her as a character. I also loved the Samuel twist the author threw in for good measure. It was fantastic how she had me and Alina fooled, and I had my heart in my hands by the end of the novel.

Reign was a complicated subject this time around. As much as I'd love to see him and Alina together, I know it isn't possible because of extenuating circumstances. He came off as the villain half of the time and the other half he was just nowhere to be seen. I found myself rooting against him most times and with that ending my guilt has exceeded regular levels. 

I still can't believe the author built Samuel up to what he was and tore out my heart in that manner. I remember now why I read books by this author. When I think I'm standing on a concrete floor, she slides the invisible rug I didn't know I was standing on right out from under me. 

This book left a big open and directionless ending and I really want to know what happens next. I need a plot twist to make it so Reign and Alina can be together. I hope that's next in Mrs. DaCosta's list of plot twists and possible outcomes.

The Audio Book:

The overall audio book was awesome, but to me, Nyx's british accent sounded irish and reminded me of Crowley's mother in the Supernatural tv show. I don't know why I made that connection, but it did take away from the story. Though I eventually did get over it, I would have liked her to have been portrayed differently.

My Rating:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...