If you use an Adblocker please consider whitelisting this blog.
By viewing and/or clicking the AD's you make the future of this blog brighter! Thank you!

Advertisement

Tuesday, May 17, 2016

Book Review: Tone Deaf By Olivia Rivers

Tone Deaf
By Olivia Rivers

His world is music.
Her world is silent.

Ali Collins was a child prodigy destined to become one of the greatest musicians of the twenty-first century—until she was diagnosed with a life-changing brain tumor. Now, at seventeen, Ali lives in a soundless world where she gets by with American Sign Language and lip-reading. She’s a constant disappointment to her father, a retired cop fighting his own demons, and the bruises are getting harder to hide.

When Ali accidentally wins a backstage tour with the chart-topping band Tone Deaf, she’s swept back into the world of music. Jace Beckett, the nineteen-year-old lead singer of the band, has a reputation. He’s a jerk and a player, and Ali wants nothing to do with him. But there’s more to Jace than the tabloids let on. When Jace notices Ali’s bruises and offers to help her escape to New York, Ali can’t turn down the chance at freedom and a fresh start. Soon she’s traveling cross-country, hidden away in Jace’s RV as the band finishes their nationwide tour. With the help of Jace, Ali sets out to reboot her life and rediscover the music she once loved.
Goodreads Button
Available At:

My Review:

I enjoyed this novel so much! The premise of it all was very basic, but when you add the element of a deaf main character is puts a very exciting spin on things. I find ASL (American Sign Language) to be very interesting. I periodically find myself on youtube searching how-to videos and I have learned a few signs, but I am nowhere near fluent (which is a dream of mine).

I adored Alison (AKA Ali). She started out really insecure of herself because of the abuse her so called father put her through. After she meets Jace it's almost like a switch flips and she can't wait to leave. I like seeing her evolution and everyone in the band learning to accept her. 

Jace was a very big jerk when we're first introduced to him. He comes off like that because of some personal matters. I did end up liking him because he did turn out to be very good for Ali and I can also say that Ali did help him somewhat as well. The event that made him almost an angel in my eyes occurred in the last chapter (right before the epilogue). I can't mention what is was, considering it's a huge spoiler, but just know that everything was right in the world.

This was a quick and cute read. I loved how the author incorporated ASL and I would love to read a sequel to Ali and Jace's story in the near future. If their story doesn't continue I'd like, at the very least, to read more about the other character's in this book. If I had to pick one particular character it would be Jon because he didn't really have a voice in this novel and I'm intrigued.

My Favorite Quotes:

"[...] once fear enters you, it can't just leave."

"I'm usually no good at commitment, but this is different. You're different. I'm not just going to let you go. Not unless you want me to."

"Someone hurt that girl. That's not drama, that's a crime."

My Rating:





***
**Book Look**
Follow me on Shoplook for more!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...